public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Inight 6.1 build problems
@ 2004-05-28  7:53 Backhaus Willy
From: Backhaus Willy @ 2004-05-28  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

hello,

I tried to build Insight 6.1 release version for use with cygwin.
unfortunately, no insight executable is made. I also applied a patch
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q2/msg00032.html) but it didn't
help. any hints?

than I tried again with snapshot (insight+dejagnu-20040404) and now I get
the following error message.

----
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ -g -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot
cre
ate executables.
make: *** [configure-dejagnu] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/gdb'
-----

any ideas?

it seems that gcc is not installed properly. actually it was installed by
cygwin.

I have win2000, cygwin 1.5.10-3, gcc 3.3.1.

thanks.

Willy

* Re: Inight 6.1 build problems
@ 2004-05-28 16:59 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-05-28 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Backhaus Willy; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 00:22, Backhaus Willy wrote:
> I tried to build Insight 6.1 release version for use with cygwin.
> unfortunately, no insight executable is made. I also applied a patch
> (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q2/msg00032.html) but it didn't
> help. any hints?

Very good! That patch will definitely be necessary. So what happens with
the build? Did you regenerate the toplevel configure? Does it just not
create the insight executable? What about a gdb executable?

As for the snapshot...
> ----
> checking for c++... c++
> checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ -g -O2 ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot
> cre
> ate executables.
> make: *** [configure-dejagnu] Error 1
> make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/gdb'

As you indicate, it appears that your compiler installation is hosed.
Can you compile a simple "hello-world"-like application in c and c++?
You might try reinstalling gcc in your cygwin configuration (?).

Keith

* RE: Inight 6.1 build problems
@ 2004-07-13 15:53   ` Backhaus Willy
From: Backhaus Willy @ 2004-07-13 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

hello,

sorry for my late response..

> On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 00:22, Backhaus Willy wrote:
> > I tried to build Insight 6.1 release version for use with cygwin.
> > unfortunately, no insight executable is made. I also applied a patch
> >
> (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q2/msg00032.html)
> but it didn't
> > help. any hints?
>
> Very good! That patch will definitely be necessary. So what
> happens with
> the build? Did you regenerate the toplevel configure? Does it just not
> create the insight executable? What about a gdb executable?

the gdb was build and calling gdb with the -w switch has no effect..

> As for the snapshot...
> > ----
> > checking for c++... c++
> > checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ -g -O2 ) works... no
> > configure: error: installation or configuration problem:
> C++ compiler cannot
> > cre
> > ate executables.
> > make: *** [configure-dejagnu] Error 1
> > make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/gdb'
>
> As you indicate, it appears that your compiler installation is hosed.
> Can you compile a simple "hello-world"-like application in c and c++?
> You might try reinstalling gcc in your cygwin configuration (?).

I reinstalled gcc but it didn't help and I can build other executables (like
gdb in the previous configuration).

Regards,

Willy

* RE: Inight 6.1 build problems
@ 2004-07-13 16:01     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-07-13 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Backhaus Willy; +Cc: insight

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 08:54, Backhaus Willy wrote:
> > Very good! That patch will definitely be necessary. So what
> > happens with
> > the build? Did you regenerate the toplevel configure? Does it just not
> > create the insight executable? What about a gdb executable?
>
> the gdb was build and calling gdb with the -w switch has no effect..

Please be explicit: did you regenerate configure after apply the patch?
If you did not regenerate configure, the patch will have no effect. [To
regenerate configure, run "autoconf" in the directory containing the
patched configure.in file, i.e, src/.]

> > As for the snapshot...
> > > ----
> > > checking for c++... c++
> > > checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ -g -O2 ) works... no
> > > configure: error: installation or configuration problem:
> > C++ compiler cannot
> > > cre
> > > ate executables.
> > > make: *** [configure-dejagnu] Error 1
> > > make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/gdb'
> >
> > As you indicate, it appears that your compiler installation is hosed.
> > Can you compile a simple "hello-world"-like application in c and c++?
> > You might try reinstalling gcc in your cygwin configuration (?).
>
> I reinstalled gcc but it didn't help and I can build other executables (like
> gdb in the previous configuration).

Gdb does not use c++. Do you have g++ installed? [Can you build a simple
helloworld executable in c++?]

In any case, dejagnu and expect are not required for the build. You
could erase src/expect and src/dejagnu from your sources and reconfigure
and rebuild. You won't be able to test anything, though.

Keith

* RE: Inight 6.1 build problems
@ 2004-07-13 16:17     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-07-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > > I tried to build Insight 6.1 release version for use with cygwin.
> > > unfortunately, no insight executable is made. I also
> applied a patch
> > >
> > (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q2/msg00032.html)
> > but it didn't
> > > help. any hints?
> >
> > Very good! That patch will definitely be necessary. So what
> > happens with
> > the build? Did you regenerate the toplevel configure? Does
> it just not
> > create the insight executable? What about a gdb executable?

  Just as an extra datapoint for Keith, the patch worked for me; after
regenerating, I got a complete build with both gdb and insight exes.
However....

> the gdb was build and calling gdb with the -w switch has no effect..

  ... I've found that there's two problems:

  1) The cygwin-hosted gdb executable simply doesn't recognize the -w
switch; you *have* to invoke the insight executable.  I don't know if it is
supposed to work or not, but copying and renaming the gdb executable to
insight also doesn't work: the two exes seem to be substantively different.

  2) It can only successfully find the tcl/tk IWidgets package when it's
running from the install location, so you have to do "make install" and then
run that.  It can't run in gui mode from the build directory, even if you
use the insight exe.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Inight 6.1 build problems
@ 2004-07-15  9:09       ` Backhaus Willy
From: Backhaus Willy @ 2004-07-15  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

hello,

I installed cygwin, gcc and autoconf again, I applied the patch and now the
Insight 6.1 works :)

thanks.

Willy