public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Building Insight on Cygwin (bad interpreter)
@ 2001-09-25  2:27 peter.betts
From: peter.betts @ 2001-09-25  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I have insight-5_0.tar.gz un-tarred within Cygwin using "tar zxvf
insight-5_0_tar.gz" to insight-5.0 and am now ready to install.

(GNU bash, version 2.05.0(6)-release (i686-pc-cygwin))

Quote:

"It is now possible to automatically configure and build a variety of
tools with one command.  To build all of the tools contained herein,
run the ``configure'' script here, e.g.:

        ./configure
        make
"

but I get the following 'bad interpreter" error whenever I try to run
configure, config.sub or any such install proceedures.

$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I've got cygwin to compile my code for the SH4 processor and these work
as I've downloaded via simple bootloader but I'd like to be able to use
GDB for debugging. Can you help?

This must be a simple error I'm making or step I've missed. Thanks

Pete

 E-mail Confidentiality Notice and Disclaimer

  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited.
  E-mail messages are not necessarily secure.  Hitachi does not accept responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent.
  Please note that Hitachi checks outgoing e-mail messages for the presence of computer viruses.

* Re: Building Insight on Cygwin (bad interpreter)
@ 2001-09-26 10:51 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-09-26 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter.betts; +Cc: insight

Sorry for the delay... I've been out of town (yes, I actually took an
airplane), and I'm just getting up to speed again.

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 peter.betts@hmse.com wrote:

> I have insight-5_0.tar.gz un-tarred within Cygwin using "tar zxvf
> insight-5_0_tar.gz" to insight-5.0 and am now ready to install.

Please try checking out the 5.1 branch and building it. Believe me when I
say you'll be much, much happier that you did.

> "It is now possible to automatically configure and build a variety of
> tools with one command.  To build all of the tools contained herein,
> run the ``configure'' script here, e.g.:
>
>         ./configure
>         make
> "
>
> but I get the following 'bad interpreter" error whenever I try to run
> configure, config.sub or any such install proceedures.

I don't know where the above quote comes from, and it may work, but I
never do it that way. I _always_ build in a separate directory. This keeps
the source directories unaltered, which allows me to build multiple
Insights/gdbs for different targets/hosts.

> $ ./configure
> bash: ./configure: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

What does "ls -l /bin/sh" show?

Keith

* Re: Building Insight on Cygwin (bad interpreter)
@ 2001-09-26 11:20   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-09-26 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: peter.betts, insight

>> but I get the following 'bad interpreter" error whenever I try to run
>> configure, config.sub or any such install proceedures.
>

> I don't know where the above quote comes from, and it may work, but I
> never do it that way. I _always_ build in a separate directory. This keeps
> the source directories unaltered, which allows me to build multiple
> Insights/gdbs for different targets/hosts.

That exact quote, I don't know.  However, building in the source tree is
still documented.  On some very obscure platforms, VPATH doesn't work
breaking separate source and build directories.

Andrew

* Re: Building Insight on Cygwin (bad interpreter)
@ 2001-09-26 12:01     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-09-26 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: peter.betts, insight

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> That exact quote, I don't know.  However, building in the source tree is
> still documented.  On some very obscure platforms, VPATH doesn't work
> breaking separate source and build directories.

I just tried it, and you still can do "./configure; make all install".

Keith

* Re: Building Insight on Cygwin (bad interpreter)
@ 2001-09-27  0:17   ` peter.betts
From: peter.betts @ 2001-09-27  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> Please try checking out the 5.1 branch and building it. Believe me when I
> say you'll be much, much happier that you did.

O.K. will do, thanks.

> I don't know where the above quote comes from, and it may work

from the README file in root of Insight.

> never do it that way. I _always_ build in a separate directory. This keeps
> the source directories unaltered, which allows me to build multiple
> Insights/gdbs for different targets/hosts.

Makes sense.

> What does "ls -l /bin/sh" show?

ls: /bin/sh: No such file or directory

which I guess means I didn't have sh.exe installed so I found one and
then got

-rwxr-xr-x   1 Administ None    68608  Dec  1 1998 /bin/sh

but it still falls over later. (not exactly a new version of sh.exe
1998?)

I'm going to try re-installing CYGWIN and try to get it to install every
file. (thought I did this before)
and also grab the 5.1 version of Insight and try again.

Thanks again.

@ 2001-09-27  7:15     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-09-27  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter.betts; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 peter.betts@hmse.com wrote:

> > What does "ls -l /bin/sh" show?
>
> ls: /bin/sh: No such file or directory

Aha! Just what I thought! :-)

> which I guess means I didn't have sh.exe installed so I found one and
> then got
>
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 Administ None    68608  Dec  1 1998 /bin/sh
>
> but it still falls over later. (not exactly a new version of sh.exe
> 1998?)

Not a good idea. In the old days, we used to copy cygwin's bash to
/bin/sh, but nowadays, they've much better processes to deal with this.

> I'm going to try re-installing CYGWIN and try to get it to install every
> file. (thought I did this before)
> and also grab the 5.1 version of Insight and try again.

Yes, I think this is the best approach. You don't mention what version of
cygwin you're trying to use, but going to http://www.cygwin.com and
clicking "Install Cygwin now" is the best route to go, given you're
looking at an installation error/problem right now.

Good luck.
Keith