public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight5.1 with target dbug
@ 2002-02-11  5:58 Andy Lewis
From: Andy Lewis @ 2002-02-11  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I am trying to use Insight5.1 with an uptodate copy of cygwin to debug on Motorola's M5272C3 Coldfire evaluation board using their dBUG monitor.

I have built Insight with target=m68k-elf.

File->Target Settings does not offer dbug, so I have selected Remote/Serial (+ set baud and com port) , then used the "Console Window" to select "target dbug /dev/com2".

At this point I can display memory and registers from the view menu.

When I try to RUN or Download I get an error message "Downloading my_file\0.elf to Remote/Serial" "You can't do that when your target is 'exec' "

If I repeat the  "target dbug /dev/com2" in the console window the select Run->Download again it works - but ends with a "Timeout reading from remote system".
.data is shown as :0x00028090 .. 0x00028090 ie zero length (this is correct) but maybe that is confusing things ?.

At this point if I adjust PC SP etc I can step through my code.

Are there fixes for any of these problems or do I need to do something  else in my config.

Andy

Disclaimer
If you are concerned with the content, or have received this email
in error, do not open any attachment but email to
postmaster@multitone.com deleting this message from your system.
A full copy of the Multitone email disclaimer text can be found at
http://www.multitone.com/disclaimer.html

** This email was scanned for viruses, vandals and malicious content **

* Re: Insight5.1 with target dbug
@ 2002-02-11  7:31 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-02-11  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Lewis; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Andy Lewis wrote:

> I am trying to use Insight5.1 with an uptodate copy of cygwin to debug on Motorola's M5272C3 Coldfire evaluation board using their dBUG monitor.
>
> I have built Insight with target=m68k-elf.
>
> File->Target Settings does not offer dbug, so I have selected Remote/Serial (+ set baud and com port) , then used the "Console Window" to select "target dbug /dev/com2".
>
> At this point I can display memory and registers from the view menu.
>
> When I try to RUN or Download I get an error message "Downloading my_file

You've hit a disconnect between the gui and the command line. The best
thing to do is to add the "dbug" target to the target "database" in
gdb/gdbtk/library/targetsel.itb.

> If I repeat the  "target dbug /dev/com2" in the console window the select Run->Download again it works - but ends with a "Timeout reading from remote system".
> .data is shown as :0x00028090 .. 0x00028090 ie zero length (this is correct) but maybe that is confusing things ?.
>
> At this point if I adjust PC SP etc I can step through my code.
>
> Are there fixes for any of these problems or do I need to do something  else in my config.

One thing you can do is use the console window to get your target running
("target dbug /dev/com2" _and_ "load") and then use insight's
step/next/stepi/nexti, etc buttons. The run button is special. In order to
use it, you must also have a target that it knows about. (So we're back to
adding your target to targetselection.itb. Someone just did this for a
vxworks target. It is very easy to do. Care to submit a patch?)

Keith