public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: C++
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.04.9907281303090.1269-100000@hifi.cygnus.com>
@ 1999-07-29  6:16 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 1999-07-29  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: heguiluz; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Hernan Eguiluz (never root again?) wrote:

> Does insight support C++ and all its features (like templates)?

Alas, I wish I could proudly proclaim that Insight supports ALL the
features of C++; however, I cannot. In fact, gdb itself cannot handle many
C++ features (like namespaces).

That is not to say, though, that it does not support anything C++. The
source window, function browser, breakpoints window, etc all know about
overloaded functions. Most of them even know about templates. Your mileage
may vary.

I will, however, mention one or two small problems that do exist.

If you look at code for a template in the function browser or
the source window and click to set a breakpoint, gdb will install the
breakpoint on the first instance of the template found in the symbol
table. Not exactly what you would expect (it should open a dialog asking
for the one you wanted). In the function browser, though, it's easy to get
around, though: simply search for the template's name, highlight the
instance you're interested in, and click "Set". There is no workaround for
the source window. (It should be easy enough to fix, though. Hint, hint
;-)

Keith

* C++
@ 1999-07-28 12:59 Hernan Eguiluz (never root again?)