public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: menu
       [not found] <15736.47040.836221.302826@rnbl715.e-generis.com>
@ 2002-09-06  7:39 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-09-06  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Delarue Christophe; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Delarue Christophe wrote:

> GNU gdb 5.2.1
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.6".
>
> I seems that it is the  line :
>
> E SrcWin constructor {_build_win returned: bad window path name ".srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con.frame.search"

Indeed. It looks like when the search widget was moved to the toolbar, the
balloon help wasn't removed. It was fixed by this patch:

2002-03-06  Martin M. Hunt  <hunt@redhat.com>

        * library/srcwin.itb: Don't try to set balloon help
        for search widget; it moved to srcbar.

You can fix this in your sources by editing
src/gdb/gdbtk/library/srcwin.itb, searching for the line

	balloon register $_statbar.frame.search "Search for text"

and removing it.

That should probably get you going.

Keith

* Re: menu
@ 2002-09-10  7:42 Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-09-10  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Delarue Christophe wrote:

>  > I've built 5.2 on Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6.0 and displayed it on Linux
>  > (DISPLAY thing), and it works fine.
>  >
>  > Can you click on the menus? Maybe it's a goofy font-sizing thing.
>
> Terribly sorry for disturbing, it was my X that did not want to display the
> courrier 12 font !
>
> After a restart, menus are filled :)))

Yeah! Phew! I was really worried there for a while!

Keith

* Re: menu
       [not found] <15740.50008.742635.696835@rnbl715.e-generis.com>
@ 2002-09-09 12:27 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-09-09 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Delarue Christophe; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Delarue Christophe wrote:

> I now have cleaned everything, done the remove of the line from the right file in the untar directory
>
>     balloon register $_statbar.frame.search "Search for text"
>
> recompile everything, rerun.
>
> rnblsdfs> ./bin/gdb -v
> GNU gdb 5.2.1
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.6".
>

>  and the content of the all menus are still empty, juste a "-" appears :

When I sent off that note about getting rid of the "balloon register", I
was also building a clean copy of 5.2 (on linux). It turns out that the
error wouldn't cause the problem you're seeing.

       [not found] <15736.53799.680285.611369@rnbl715.e-generis.com>
@ 2002-09-06  9:36 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-09-06  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Delarue Christophe; +Cc: insight

[Aside: Odd... I checked out 5.2(.1) from the repository and built on
linux. It ran just fine for some reason. I would not expect this given the
error you reported.]

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Delarue Christophe wrote:

> I tried in the <prefix>/share/insight1.0/srcwin.itb but it does not work.  I
> tried thus to regenerate every thing from scratch. I discover some configure pb
> :
>

>  checking for executable suffix... (cached) no
> checking for Tcl configuration... (cached) found /home/export/insight-5.2.1/tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh
> checking for existence of /home/export/insight-5.2.1/tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh... file not found
> checking for Tcl private include files... Using srcdir found in tclConfig.sh:
> checking for building with threads... no (default)
> checking how to build libraries... static
> checking for build with symbols... no
> configure: error: The TCL_LIB_SUFFIX variable is not defined
> configure: error: ./configure failed for itcl
> Configure in /net/rnbl041/home/export/insight-5.2.1/itcl failed, exiting.

There is definitely something very goofy going on here. Configure says
that it found /home/export/insight-5.2.1/tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh, but then
says "file not found".

Does this file exist in your build directory?

This is really goofy. I would not expect Solaris to differ from linux at
all wrt building insight...

(Your insight.log shows insight starting and exiting. What's the problem?
Out of curiosity, have you tried removing your .gdbtkinit?)

Keith

* Re: menu
@ 2002-09-06  6:46 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-09-06  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Delarue Christophe; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Delarue Christophe wrote:

> as I run /home/export/insight_Install/bin/gdb, the GUI runs with empty menus. I
> suppose I've not the good font on my machine ....
> I've tried to unset any LC_xxx ...

Ok, since you're asking about X11 resources, I presume you're running on a
unix. What does "gdb -v" show?

> I've read that gdb GUI is settable with the X11 ressources.
>
> Where is this X11 resources file ?

Insight is a standard Tk application. However, I find it really hard to
believe that you don't have a courier font of size 12 on your machine. It
is much more likely that there was an error starting insight and the menu
was never created.

Can you send the insight.log generated by starting insight with the
"GDBTK_DEBUG=1" environment variable set?

Keith

* menu
@ 2002-09-06  3:21 Delarue Christophe
From: Delarue Christophe @ 2002-09-06  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I've compiled install gdb/insight on like
configure --prefix=/home/export/insight_Install
to test it

--
Christophe DELARUE        E-Generis
Tel.: (+33) 299 842052    Fax.: (+33) 299 639331