public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* RE: input redirection
@ 2002-09-09  0:44 antoine.trux
From: antoine.trux @ 2002-09-09  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight; +Cc: keiths

> Tom Tromey responded to this message... You're problem may be
> different,
> but the original poster was attempting to do something silly:
>
> $ gdb ./mulitvar < multivar.inf

True, but Scott Hill replied to Tom Tromey that his suggestions don't work, and that, for some reason, the "silly command" was working in Win98 (but not in NT). See http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00050.html.

I, too, tried Tom's suggestions, but had no more luck than Scott.

> Instead, he has several options:
>
> 1) Run "gdb ./multivar", go to File->Target Settings...,
> choose "Exec",
> and enter "< multivar.inf" as arguments

Just tried it. Doesn't work.

> 2) Run "gdb ./multivar --args '< multiar.inf' (syntax may be
> incorrect --
> double check it)

gdb: unrecognized option `--args'
Use `gdb --help' for a complete list of options.

> 3) Run "gdb ./mulitvar", open Console Window, type "r < multivar.inf"

This was Tom's suggestion. Doesn't work.

> If this doesn't happen on your system, please try doing this
> with vanilla
> gdb, i.e., "gdb -nw". This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that
> Insight would malign.

Doesn't work either.

Antoine

* RE: input redirection
@ 2002-09-09  8:57 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-09-09  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: antoine.trux; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 antoine.trux@nokia.com wrote:

> > $ gdb ./mulitvar < multivar.inf
>
> True, but Scott Hill replied to Tom Tromey that his suggestions don't
> work, and that, for some reason, the "silly command" was working in
> Win98 (but not in NT). See
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00050.html.

I missed that message; it's not in the same mail thread as the others.
Still, the fact that it worked at all is probably a bug. This command just
does not do what the user thought it would.

> I, too, tried Tom's suggestions, but had no more luck than Scott.

> gdb: unrecognized option `--args'
> Use `gdb --help' for a complete list of options.

Ugh. Cygwin. Right. Ok, you won't have this option available to you, since
it didn't get in until 5.2, which doesn't work on cygwin (well, the tcl/tk
that we use don't work on cygwin. Command line gdb works just fine.)

> > gdb, i.e., "gdb -nw". This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that
> > Insight would malign.
>
> Doesn't work either.

Ok, then the error is occurring below the layer that Insight (and probably
gdb) work at. I would recommend you start by asking on the gdb mailing
list about this (gdb@sources.redhat.com). I'm pretty sure they'll just
tell you to try the cygwin mailing list, but the cygwin maintainer is also
the cygwin gdb maintainer, so he reads the list. Make sure you've done due
dilligence before posting (and say that you have): it'll make your life
much easier. ('due dilligence' = search gdb/cygwin mailing lists for this
topic)

I wish I had some better news for you, but I don't. Sorry.

Keith

* Re: input redirection
@ 2002-09-06  6:52 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-09-06  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: antoine.trux; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 antoine.trux@nokia.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Someone once had problems with input redirection with the Insight Debugger in Windows NT: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00047.html. Several people answered, but the problem remained unsolved (see http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00048.html, http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00049.html and http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00050.html).
>
> I have the same problem. Has any solution been found?

Tom Tromey responded to this message... You're problem may be different,
but the original poster was attempting to do something silly:

$ gdb ./mulitvar < multivar.inf

This tells gdb that it's stdin is redirected from the file! Not what the
user wanted, I think...

Instead, he has several options:

1) Run "gdb ./multivar", go to File->Target Settings..., choose "Exec",
and enter "< multivar.inf" as arguments

2) Run "gdb ./multivar --args '< multiar.inf' (syntax may be incorrect --
double check it)

3) Run "gdb ./mulitvar", open Console Window, type "r < multivar.inf"

If this doesn't happen on your system, please try doing this with vanilla
gdb, i.e., "gdb -nw". This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that
Insight would malign.

Keith

* input redirection
@ 2002-09-06  4:26 antoine.trux
From: antoine.trux @ 2002-09-06  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

Someone once had problems with input redirection with the Insight Debugger in Windows NT: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00047.html. Several people answered, but the problem remained unsolved (see http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00048.html, http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00049.html and http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2001-q1/msg00050.html).

I have the same problem. Has any solution been found?

Best regards,
Antoine