public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* insight & ddd
@ 2002-11-29  8:30 Ian Gilmour
From: Ian Gilmour @ 2002-11-29  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'insight@sources.redhat.com'

I've used ddd for a while and am just starting off using insight.
I've got a gdb user macro in ~/.gdbinit that runs fine using
powerpc-eabi-gdb (insight version) but when I run the same
macro using ddd as the front-end (and insight as the gdb backend) I get...
-----------------------------
GNU DDD 3.3 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu), by Dorothea Lütkehaus and Andreas
Zeller.
Copyright © 1995-1999 Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany.
Copyright © 1999-2001 Universität Passau, Germany.
setting up printing options...
(gdb) psimddd
Connected to the simulator.
Breakpoint 1 at 0x36d8: file twothreads.c, line 25.
void cyg_user_start(void);
Breakpoint 2 at 0x788c: file
/usr/local/tools/src/ecosCVS/ecos/packages/infra/current/src/tcdiag.cxx,
line 261.
void cyg_test_exit(void);
Breakpoint 3 at 0x600c: file
/usr/local/tools/src/ecosCVS/ecos/packages/infra/current/src/buffer.cxx,
line 727.
void cyg_assert_fail(char *, char *, cyg_uint32, char *);
Segmentation fault
------------------------------
psimddd contains...
------------------------------
define psimddd
target sim -o '/iobus/pal@0xf0001000/reg 0xf0001000 32'
load
rbreak cyg_user_start
rbreak cyg_test_exit
rbreak cyg_assert_fail
end
------------------------------
Any clues as to whether this is a ddd problem, an insight problem or my
config?
Do I need a raw version of gdb to overcome it?
Any ideas?
N.B. Host is linux.

cheers,

Ian

* Re: insight & ddd
@ 2002-12-02  8:41 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-12-02  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Gilmour; +Cc: 'insight@sources.redhat.com'

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Ian Gilmour wrote:

You're either running Insight or DDD -- you cannot run both at the same
time.

Insight, like DDD, is just a GUI on top of GDB. If you're seeing a crash
in the command line, you'll need to ask over on gdb@sources.redhat.com.

> void cyg_assert_fail(char *, char *, cyg_uint32, char *);
> Segmentation fault

You'll need a backtrace to know for sure where things are going astray,
but I would recommend narrowing the testcase down a little. It looks like
"rbreak" is the culprit. Does command-line GDB behave the same way?
(That's the Insight version of GDB with the "-nw" flag.) The gdb folks
will want to know. (Also include info from 'gdb -v'.)

Keith