public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Nokia 7650
@ 2002-12-08  5:17 Paul Cole
From: Paul Cole @ 2002-12-08  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Can I use your insight GDB to debug applications on my Nokia 7650 device?

* Re: Nokia 7650
@ 2002-12-09 10:22 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-12-09 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Cole; +Cc: insight

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Paul Cole wrote:

> Can I use your insight GDB to debug applications on my Nokia 7650 device?

Does GDB support it? If so, Insight should work with it, too.

Keith

* Re: Nokia 7650
@ 2002-12-12  2:04   ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2002-12-12  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Paul Cole wrote:
>
> > Can I use your insight GDB to debug applications on my Nokia 7650 device?
>
> Does GDB support it? If so, Insight should work with it, too.

 I received the Nokia "Series 60 SDK for Symbian OS, Version 0.9"
yesterday so I haven't gathered much experience with it. But a quick
look at it after installing showed the GCC being '2.9-psion-98r2'
and the GDB/Insight being version '4.17-psion-98r2', so the Cygnus
'GNUPro 98r2' release seems to be in the bottom... Four years old
stuff perhaps, but released in July 2002 or something. And only for
Windows/Cygwin host of course :(

 A stamp "Compatible with Nokia 7650" was on the CD-package...

 Maybe Paul wanted to know whether other hosts like Linux could be
used and whether newer versions of GCC and Insight could be used.

 The first thing one sees is that the GNU sources are not included
although there would have been space for them on the CDROM, the
binaries etc. taking only 123 Mbytes now. Finding out how the patched
sources can be got from Symbian/Nokia seems to be the first job.

 The 'show version' gives:

----------------------- clip -------------------------------------
GNU gdb 4.17-psion-98r2
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This version of GDB has been modified by Symbian Ltd. to add EPOC
support.
Type "show epoc-version" to see the EPOC-specific version number.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin32 --target=arm-epoc-
pe".
----------------------- clip -------------------------------------

and the 'help target' gives:

----------------------- clip -------------------------------------
List of target subcommands:

target epoc -- Use a remote epoc device via a serial line
target epocinternal -- Target used internally by the "epoc" target
target exec -- Use an executable file as a target
target extended-remote -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
target rdi -- Use a remote ARM-based computer; via the RDI library
target rdp -- Use a remote ARM system which uses the ARM Remote
Debugging Protocol
target remote -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
target sim -- Use the compiled-in simulator
----------------------- clip -------------------------------------

 So the "has been modified by Symbian Ltd. to add EPOC support"
has a meaning and these modifications should be found for inclusion
into the newer sources...

 BTW, there is a 'gdbstub.exe' which seems to be related to the
'epocinternal' target, ie. there being a real ARM/EPOC 'emulator'
or 'simulator' now, not only a emulator which takes programs
compiled with MSVC++ for the i386-pe host...

Cheers, Kai

* Re: Nokia 7650
@ 2002-12-12  7:12     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-12-12  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Ruottu; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Kai Ruottu wrote:

> ----------------------- clip -------------------------------------
> This version of GDB has been modified by Symbian Ltd. to add EPOC
> support.
> Type "show epoc-version" to see the EPOC-specific version number.
> This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin32 --target=arm-epoc-
> pe".
> ----------------------- clip -------------------------------------

Ok, so, as you indicate, this version of Insight works with the Nokia 7650
(apparently some sort of ARM device). The target "arm-epoc-pe" does not
exist in the public sources, so I doubt very much that it will work until
the changes they made are updated and included in the public sources.

FWIW, since you have a binary distribution of the tools from Nokia, you
have the right to receive a copy of the source for all the GPL'd tools on
it (gcc, gdb, ld, gas, etc). Nokia must supply these sources,  or violate
the terms of the GPL. This could be used by someone to start the work on
getting this working for the public sources. (Note that one may not
necessarily have the right to their stub program, since this program may
not be under the GPL.)

Of course, in order for any of this to work (and be included in the FSF
gdb), one would need to have the compiler working, too. So this is
probably a non-trivial task.

Keith