public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: Help info
       [not found] <4282EA810008FD61@mail-4.tiscali.it>
@ 2005-06-22 16:46 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-06-22 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.burton; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 18:31 +0200, j.burton@tiscali.it wrote:
> (gdb) show version
> GNU gdb 6.0
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf".

Okie dokie. That's what I needed to see. You're running a cygwin host
targeting arm-elf.

> help target
> Connect to a target machine or process.
> The first argument is the type or protocol of the target machine.
> Remaining arguments are interpreted by the target protocol.  For more
> information on the arguments for a particular protocol, type
> `help target ' followed by the protocol name.
>
> List of target subcommands:
>
> target async -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
> target cisco -- Use a remote machine via TCP
> target exec -- Use an executable file as a target
> target extended-async -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
> target extended-remote -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
> target rdi -- Use a remote ARM-based computer; via the RDI library
> target rdp -- Use a remote ARM system which uses the ARM Remote Debugging
> Protocol
> target remote -- Use a remote computer via a serial line
> target sim -- Use the compiled-in simulator
>
> Type "help target" followed by target subcommand name for full documentation.
> Command name abbreviations are allowed if unambiguous.

Ok, I see from falcom.de that you are to use a serial connection using
38400 baud. If you've tried to configure the target using
"Remote/Serial" (remote), "ARM Angel/Serial" (rdi), and "ARM
Remote/Serial" (rdp), and all of them failed, I'm afraid there's not
much more advice I can give you.

Your best bet is to contact falcom.de for support on their product.

Keith

* RE: Help info
@ 2005-06-22 17:19   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-22 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Ok, I see from falcom.de that you are to use a serial connection using
> 38400 baud. If you've tried to configure the target using
> "Remote/Serial" (remote), "ARM Angel/Serial" (rdi), and "ARM
> Remote/Serial" (rdp), and all of them failed, I'm afraid there's not
> much more advice I can give you.
>
> Your best bet is to contact falcom.de for support on their product.

  Under cygwin, the first serial port may be named "/dev/com1",
"/dev/ttyS0", or just plain "com1", depending on how old the version of
cygwin is that is bundled with this package.  Dunno if this will help, but
it may be related to the problem....

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Help info
       [not found] <4282EA810008FEC2@mail-4.tiscali.it>
@ 2005-06-22 17:22 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-06-22 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.burton; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 18:51 +0200, j.burton@tiscali.it wrote:
> Do you know eCos?

I haven't used eCos since it was owned by Cygnus Solutions (the "C" in
eCos).

FWIW, from perusing the documentation on falcom's website, I see a
picture on page 14 of the eCos SDK User Guide which shows a prompt
"RedBoot>". This is Red Hat's (former?) hardware bootstrapping
environment. RedBoot speaks GDB's remote protocol.

You should be able to use the "Remote/Serial" target setting (File-
>Target Settings...) to connect to this board. If that still fails, try
contacting either Falcom or an ecos-related mailing list
(http://ecos.sourceware.org).

Falcom Wireless does not have any sort of service agreement with the
free software community that develops insight. We have no obligation to
support commercial customers. I hate to get hardball about this, but
please refer further support issues to Falcom.

Good luck,
Keith

* Re: Help info
       [not found] <4282EA810008F5B5@mail-4.tiscali.it>
@ 2005-06-22 15:19 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-06-22 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.burton; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 17:14 +0200, j.burton@tiscali.it wrote:
> the device is attached to serial port, I got Insight from eCos_SDK (on www.Falcom.de
> site).
> Version is 6.0 GNU PRO Toolkit
>
> Can you  help me?

Maybe. :-)

What does the full output of "show version" show?

Keith

* Re: Help info
@ 2005-06-22 15:11 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-06-22 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.burton; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 12:42 +0200, j.burton@tiscali.it wrote:
> Hello, I'm using Insight to debug my projects created with Eclipse for a
> device called STEPP II.

I've never heard of STEPP II. Can you tell me what "*insight -v" or
"show version" in the console says?

> I have bin files. For example I try to open http_client.out. After I try
> to connect to target..it gives me error, it can't recognize device on serial
> port. I don't know what target I  need to select; I selected all but no one
> works well.
> I would like to know how to use it step by step.

From where did you get Insight? How is the device attached to your
computer? Serial port? Ethernet? Some other way?

Keith

* Help info
@ 2005-06-22 10:42 j.burton
From: j.burton @ 2005-06-22 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hello, I'm using Insight to debug my projects created with Eclipse for a
device called STEPP II.
I have bin files. For example I try to open http_client.out. After I try
to connect to target..it gives me error, it can't recognize device on serial
port. I don't know what target I  need to select; I selected all but no one
works well.
I would like to know how to use it step by step.
Thanks.

TISCALI ADSL 1.25 MEGA a soli 19.95 euro/mese
Solo con Tiscali Adsl navighi senza limiti di tempo
a meno di 20 euro al mese. E in piu' telefoni senza
pagare il canone Telecom! Scopri come, clicca qui
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/adsl/sa/1e25flat_tc/