public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* ppc405gpr On-Chip Memory (OCM) debugging
@ 2004-09-26  5:20 Gene Smith
From: Gene Smith @ 2004-09-26  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

My OCD/JTAG vendor (Macraigor) has supplied a simple c demo program you
can load to a ppc405gpr using GDB and their mpDemon box. It appears to
work fine in insight or gdb except that when you single step (s) around
in the code it often skip instructions in a somewhat random way.
Optimization was not not used when compiling the program which is
running entirely in the 4k on-chip ram memory of the processor which
gets located using .gdbinit at 0xfc000000. Single stepping by assembly
instructions (si) seems to work without any skipped instructions.

Any idea why I see skipped c instructions? I have tried gdb/insight
builds on cygwin and linux with the same result.

-gene

* Re: ppc405gpr On-Chip Memory (OCM) debugging - solving
@ 2004-10-02  5:53 ` Gene Smith
From: Gene Smith @ 2004-10-02  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Gene Smith wrote, On 09/26/2004 01:10 AM:
> My OCD/JTAG vendor (Macraigor) has supplied a simple c demo program you
> can load to a ppc405gpr using GDB and their mpDemon box. It appears to
> work fine in insight or gdb except that when you single step (s) around
> in the code it often skip instructions in a somewhat random way.
> Optimization was not not used when compiling the program which is
> running entirely in the 4k on-chip ram memory of the processor which
> gets located using .gdbinit at 0xfc000000. Single stepping by assembly
> instructions (si) seems to work without any skipped instructions.
>
> Any idea why I see skipped c instructions? I have tried gdb/insight
> builds on cygwin and linux with the same result.
>
> -gene

Turns out the problem is with Macraigor mpDemon itself. After a week of
being told "it works for us on our 405gp board" they tested it again and
  saw the same problem. mpDemon firware fix is in the works.

-gene