public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Stop sign ignored while debugging linux pgm
@ 2005-03-25 19:53 geneSmith
From: geneSmith @ 2005-03-25 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I have a program (written by someone else) that I need to look at with
gdb. The program runs in a tight loop looking for a keypress and
servicing tcp/ip events with select. When the program runs under insight
it seems to remove all the oxygen from the insight gui in that the STOP
button and other menus are ineffective. The program itself responds to
the keypresses appropriately. Also, if a window covers the insight gui
with the program running under its control it never get redrawn.

When the program runs stand-alone (with insight/gdb) it does not respond
to ctrl-c. Do I possibly need some sort of SIGINT handler?

When I write my own program just looping forever on printf it responds
to the STOP button (SIGINT) as expected and stops the program
executation as I would expect. But the other program program does not.

Tks,
-gene
--
Lit up like Levy's

* Re: Stop sign ignored while debugging linux pgm
@ 2005-03-26  0:14 ` geneSmith
From: geneSmith @ 2005-03-26  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

geneSmith wrote, On 3/25/2005 2:52 PM:

> I have a program (written by someone else) that I need to look at with
> gdb. The program runs in a tight loop looking for a keypress and
> servicing tcp/ip events with select. When the program runs under insight
> it seems to remove all the oxygen from the insight gui in that the STOP
> button and other menus are ineffective. The program itself resesponds to
> the keypresses appropriately. Also, if a window covers the insight gui
> with the program running under its control it never get redrawn.
>
> When the program runs stand-alone (without insight/gdb) it does not respond
> to ctrl-c. Do I possibly need some sort of SIGINT handler?
>
> When I write my own test program just looping forever on printf it responds
> to the STOP button (SIGINT) as expected and stops the program
> executation as I would expect. But the other program does not.
>
> Tks,
> -gene

Found that program had termios flag ISIG forced off. If left on can now
at least do ctrl-c in program's xterm and cause insight to halt which is
good. However, STOP button (and other menu items in insight) still
disabled while program is running. Would be nice if STOP button worked
but having ctrl-c respond is next best thing.
-gene
ps: Corrected a couple typos in original post above.

--
Lit up like Levy's