public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Compiling on cygwin
@ 2009-03-22  3:16 Ben Pazolli
From: Ben Pazolli @ 2009-03-22  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I can't get insight to compile on cygwin so I can run insight on
windows. I can do ./configure but when I run make it always exits with
messages like '...pex-unix.c:518: error: 'F_SETFD' undelared...'
'...pex-unix.c:518: error: 'FD_CLOEXEC' undeclared...' '...make[2]:
*** [pex-unix.o] Error 1...' and '...make[1]: ***[all-libiberty] Error
2...'. Any Ideas? I am using the standard installation of cygwin and
added the mingw installation and the gmp. I really really want to
compile this.

Ben Pazolli

* Re: Compiling on cygwin
@ 2009-03-25 23:21 ` Keith Seitz
       [not found]   ` <6d6652520903260514o3b8ff517hcb7c0d8de75f09e1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-03-25 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Pazolli; +Cc: insight

Ben Pazolli wrote:
> I can't get insight to compile on cygwin so I can run insight on
> windows. I can do ./configure but when I run make it always exits with
> messages like '...pex-unix.c:518: error: 'F_SETFD' undelared...'
> '...pex-unix.c:518: error: 'FD_CLOEXEC' undeclared...' '...make[2]:
> *** [pex-unix.o] Error 1...' and '...make[1]: ***[all-libiberty] Error
> 2...'. Any Ideas? I am using the standard installation of cygwin and
> added the mingw installation and the gmp. I really really want to
> compile this.

I don't often test on cygwin, but I know I compiled it on that platform
a couple of months ago when I did the big configury overhaul.

Nonetheless, you are having problems with libiberty with some standard
defines missing... Either there is a compiler flag which is wrong or you
are missing some required software (like a library)... You might want to
ask on a more cygwin/mingw savvy mailing list than this one. [Have you
tried doing a web search?]

Otherwise, it would be helpful to have the complete output of configure
and make.

Keith

* Re: Compiling on cygwin
       [not found]   ` <6d6652520903260514o3b8ff517hcb7c0d8de75f09e1@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-03-31 18:13     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-03-31 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Pazolli; +Cc: insight

[Add insight@ back onto CC]

Ben Pazolli wrote:
> Here is the output of the configure and make:
>
> $ ./insight-6.7.1/configure
> checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
> checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
> checking target system type... i686-pc-cygwin
[snip]
> checking for bison... no
> checking for byacc... no
> checking for yacc... no
> checking for bison... no
> checking for gm4... no
> checking for gnum4... no
> checking for m4... no
> checking for flex... no
> checking for lex... no
> checking for flex... no
> checking for ld... (cached) c:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../mi
> ngw32/bin/ld.exe
[snip]

Okay, from this, I can tell a few things... First of all, it looks like
you want to build for cygwin. However, the linker that configure grabbed
was for mignw. You are also missing bison, and that is required to build
(unless you've grabbed a release tarball). So may some sort of lex
variant. I don't recall at the moment.

If you intend to build for cygwin, you must make sure that cygwin tools
are in your PATH ahead of mingw. If you are attempting to build for
mingw (which I'm pretty sure will not work very well w/Insight -- it
assumes windows means cygwin), you need to specify to configure that you
are building for mingw (--target=i686-pc-mingw, I think).

I know gdb has had some churn in it in the past year to add "native"
mingw support, but I don't believe that this will work with Insight. I
have never tried, though, so it might not be as bad as I am guessing.

Keith

* RE: Compiling on cygwin
@ 2009-04-01 15:11       ` Spencer Oliver
From: Spencer Oliver @ 2009-04-01 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Keith Seitz', 'Ben Pazolli'; +Cc: 'insight'

> I know gdb has had some churn in it in the past year to add "native"
> mingw support, but I don't believe that this will work with
> Insight. I have never tried, though, so it might not be as
> bad as I am guessing.

just for info insight-6.8 builds on native mingw out of the box.
older versions of insight required a few tweaks however.

Cheers
Spen

* Re: Compiling on cygwin
@ 2009-04-01 15:15         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-04-01 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Spencer Oliver; +Cc: 'insight'

Spencer Oliver wrote:

> just for info insight-6.8 builds on native mingw out of the box.
> older versions of insight required a few tweaks however.

Excellent, thank you for letting me know! I've only ever used cygwin,
and that's that platform that I usually check for windows -- I have a
*very* old windows 2000 machine that I check insight builds on.

Keith

* Re: Compiling on cygwin
@ 2009-06-10 16:09         ` Gene Smith
From: Gene Smith @ 2009-06-10 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Spencer Oliver wrote:
>> I know gdb has had some churn in it in the past year to add "native"
>> mingw support, but I don't believe that this will work with
>> Insight. I have never tried, though, so it might not be as
>> bad as I am guessing.
>>

> just for info insight-6.8 builds on native mingw out of the box.
> older versions of insight required a few tweaks however.
>
> Cheers
> Spen

Spen,
If you monitor this list maybe you can answer this. When you say "builds
on native mingw" do you mean under cygwin with configure option CC="gcc
-mno-cygwin" or do you mean builds under the msys shell?

So far I have gotten errors with both methods with CVS head version.
Haven't tried 6.8 yet.

Trying pure cygwin build now...

-gene