public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* twothreads in PPC simulator
@ 2000-07-06  9:18 Nicholas_Karagas
From: Nicholas_Karagas @ 2000-07-06  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, insight

Not sure where to go with this one, but I thought I'd try you guys first...

I'm trying to use eCos for PowerPC, and right now I don't have the
hardware, so I was configuring it for the PowerPC simulator.  I built the
twothreads example program, and tried debugging it in Insight.  My problem
is that when I interrupt the program while it is running, I cannot get
information on the threads (i.e. thread-specific breakpoints don't work,
thread list is empty, 'info threads' in console window doesn't return
anything).  The same thing happens in -nw mode.  I double-checked, and eCos
is configured for multithreaded debugging (I just used the default PowerPC
simulator template, and added the IP stack package).  My versions are as
follows:

gcc - 2.95.2  19991024
gdb - 5.0
eCos - 1.3.1
host - i686-pc-cygwin (on NT 4.0)
target - powerpc-eabi

Thanks for any help.

Nicholas Karagas
Associate Software Engineer
Cirilium Corporation
Tempe, AZ
(480) 317-1144

* RE: [ECOS] twothreads in PPC simulator
@ 2000-07-06 10:45 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-07-06 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas_Karagas; +Cc: insight, ecos-discuss

Try enabling GDB stubs in your application.  Currently, most targets need special
support in order to provide thread-specific debugging.  This can be enabled
by turning on GDB stubs within the downloaded program itself.

Note: we are improving most targets so that this will no longer be necessary,
i.e. you'll get thread debugging without needing to include GDB stubs in your
image.  I don't know if this will be the case for the PPC simulator though.

@ 2000-07-06 23:34   ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-07-06 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Nicholas_Karagas, insight, ecos-discuss

Gary> Try enabling GDB stubs in your application.  Currently, most
Gary> targets need special support in order to provide thread-specific
Gary> debugging.  This can be enabled by turning on GDB stubs within
Gary> the downloaded program itself.

Gary> Note: we are improving most targets so that this will no longer
Gary> be necessary, i.e. you'll get thread debugging without needing
Gary> to include GDB stubs in your image.  I don't know if this will
Gary> be the case for the PPC simulator though.

Sorry, but this is not going to make a difference for the PPC sim - it
doesn't rely on stub code for debugging, but builtin sim magic. I
suspect it will never be able to do thread-aware debugging.

Jesper

* RE: [ECOS] twothreads in PPC simulator
@ 2000-07-06 14:42 Nicholas_Karagas
From: Nicholas_Karagas @ 2000-07-06 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, insight, ecos-discussion

>Either by using the ConfigTool or 'ecosconfig', turn on the option
>"CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS".

I tried doing this, but ConfigTool won't let me include stubs with the
PowerPC simulator template.  I also tried to put it in by hand, but it
looks like psim doesn't support gdb stubs, because there are some other
platform-specific files that allow other targets to enable stubs.  If this
means that I cannot use the simulator to debug threads, I'd rather know now
than bang my head against it any longer.