public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: USB support for GDB
@ 2003-10-07 12:58 Kevin McGrath
From: Kevin McGrath @ 2003-10-07 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jimb, sachin; +Cc: insight

Would you use Micosofts WDM DDK, to assist in the development of the device
drivers for the particular target system. Would the device driver be wrote
at a layer below GDB & then use Win32 API calls to communicate with the
Device Driver which in turn would communicate with the target device

>From: Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com>
>To: Sachin Bharadwaj <sachin@multitech.co.in>
>CC: insight@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: Re: USB support for GDB
>Date: 06 Oct 2003 13:33:49 -0500
>

>Sachin Bharadwaj <sachin@multitech.co.in> writes:
> > How do I start modifying Insight/GDB for communicating through USB. I
> > have a sample Linux USB driver, with which I want to interface the
> > Insight/GDB 5.1.
>
>I don't know anything about talking to USB devices, but I would guess
>that you would need to create a new serial_ops structure (see
>serial.h) pointing to functions that do the right thing, and call
>serial_add_interface to register it.
>
>Then you'll need to add a case to serial_open in serial.c to parse the
>argument to 'target remote'.

* Re: USB support for GDB
@ 2003-10-07 16:31 ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2003-10-07 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin McGrath; +Cc: sachin, insight

"Kevin McGrath" <kevinmcgrath2003@hotmail.com> writes:
> Would you use Micosofts WDM DDK, to assist in the development of the
> device drivers for the particular target system. Would the device
> driver be wrote at a layer below GDB & then use Win32 API calls to
> communicate with the Device Driver which in turn would communicate
> with the target device

If I were working on Windows?  I don't know much about Windows
development, so I couldn't say.  Sachin said he was using Linux, and
already had a sample driver.

* Re: USB support for GDB
@ 2003-10-06 18:34 ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2003-10-06 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sachin Bharadwaj; +Cc: insight

Sachin Bharadwaj <sachin@multitech.co.in> writes:
> How do I start modifying Insight/GDB for communicating through USB. I
> have a sample Linux USB driver, with which I want to interface the
> Insight/GDB 5.1.

I don't know anything about talking to USB devices, but I would guess
that you would need to create a new serial_ops structure (see
serial.h) pointing to functions that do the right thing, and call
serial_add_interface to register it.

Then you'll need to add a case to serial_open in serial.c to parse the
argument to 'target remote'.

* USB support for GDB
@ 2003-10-06  6:16 Sachin Bharadwaj
From: Sachin Bharadwaj @ 2003-10-06  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

How do I start modifying Insight/GDB for communicating through USB. I
have a sample Linux USB driver, with which I want to interface the
Insight/GDB 5.1.

Any quick response will be highly appreciated.

Sachin