public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* GCJ gen-fib information.
@ 2012-03-09  2:38 Me Myself and I
       [not found] ` <CAM1kHc1PkRUCkgFOpgcNhAXau36uC5E1q9cvHA4ZC5JuV-wFWg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-03-09  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java

I have gen-fib located inside

.../objdir/gmp/

It only tells me that it wants

Usage: gen-bases <header|table> <limbbits> <nailbits>

make install;

[I am stuck on this gcj with gcc compilation, which at the make; stage, stops with this message:]

fib2_ui.c:76:29: error: 'FIB_TABLE_LIMIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
fib2_ui.c:76:29: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[5] *** [fib2_ui.lo] Error 1
make[5] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp/mpn'
make[4] ***all-recursive] Error 1
make[4] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
make[3] *** [all] Error 2
make[3] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
make[2] *** [all-stage1-gmp] Error 2
make[2] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
make[1] *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
make: *** [all] Error 2

* GCJ building
       [not found] ` <CAM1kHc1PkRUCkgFOpgcNhAXau36uC5E1q9cvHA4ZC5JuV-wFWg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-03-11 23:51   ` Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-03-11 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java

I'm right with you all the way up to step 7:

#7)

cd objdir;

./../gcc-4.6.2/configure;

[completes with no problem]

#8) make;

[gives me the same error messages]

Any ideas about what's happening?

> [...]
> >
> > It only tells me that it wants
> >
> > Usage: gen-bases <header|table> <limbbits> <nailbits>
> >
> > make install;
> >
> > [I am stuck on this gcj with gcc compilation, which at the make; stage, stops with this message:]
> >
> > fib2_ui.c:76:29: error: 'FIB_TABLE_LIMIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > fib2_ui.c:76:29: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
> > make[5] *** [fib2_ui.lo] Error 1
> > make[5] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp/mpn'
> > make[4] ***all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[4] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
> > make[3] *** [all] Error 2
> > make[3] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
> > make[2] *** [all-stage1-gmp] Error 2
> > make[2] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
> > make[1] *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> > make[1] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Those error messages don't match the commands you previously said you
> used.  In particular there should not be an "objdir" under gcc-4.6.2,
> and the build should definitely not be happening in that directory
> even if it does exist...
>
> To try to get to the bottom of your problem I've tried to recreate it
> using the following steps :-
>
> 1. Starting in an EMPTY directory (Test), unzip gcc-4.6.2 - this give
> me Test/gcc-4.6.2.
>
> 2. cd gcc-4.6.2
>
> 3. ./contrib/download_prerequisites - works OK with no errors
>
> 4. cd .. - now back in /Test directory
>
> 5. mkdir objdir
>
> 6. cd objdir - now in Test/objdir
>
> 7. ../gcc-4.6.2/configure - works OK with no errors
>
> 8. make - works OK with no errors!! :-)
>
> At no point does an "objdir" directory appear anywhere under gcc-4.6.2
> (although if it did momentarily I may have missed it, as I ran this
> while going over lecture notes and only checked every few minutes).
> However fib_table.h and gen-fib.exe were created successfully in
> Test/objdir/gmp.
>
> I think, looking through your previous posts, you're either not
> entering the commands you should be (or think you are), not running in
> the correct directory, or copying error messages from previous posts
> instead of the latest run on your machine.
>
> Step 1 above - start in an EMPTY directory - is probably the most
> important, as you may have corrupted your source tree by configuring
> or buiding within it.  Delete everything and start from scratch again.
>  It won't take long, and will save a huge amount of time in the long
> run.
>
> Please, take a step back, clean off everything you've done - it isn't
> working, and may never work - and go through the process slowly and
> carefully again.
>
> Regards,
>
> David P.
>
> PS - you don't have to start a new thread for every additional
> question.  It makes the discussion difficult to follow...

* Re: GCJ building
@ 2012-03-12 10:41     ` David Paterson
From: David Paterson @ 2012-03-12 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 11 March 2012 23:51, Me Myself and I <stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm right with you all the way up to step 7:
>
> #7)
>
> cd objdir;
>
> ./../gcc-4.6.2/configure;
>
> [completes with no problem]
>
> #8) make;
>
> [gives me the same error messages]
>
> Any ideas about what's happening?

Do you mean it failed on step 7 (configure) or step 8 (make)?

I get the impression that configure succeeded and make failed - but
whichever failed,
can you copy and paste the error messages you're now getting.

It can't be exactly the same errors, since your directory structure
must be different
if you've followed the other steps I listed in my previous post.

If you're still getting a message about FIB_TABLE_LIMIT then I may not
be able to
help, since I'm not getting this error, and I'm not knowledgable
enough about the GCC
build process to really help with that.

Let's have a look at the new error messages and see if there are any
clues.  If you can
find the relevant config.log section too, that would also help...

Regards,

David P.

* RE: GCJ building
@ 2012-03-12 21:30       ` Me Myself and I
       [not found]         ` <4F5E7971.4050408@digium.com>
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-03-12 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java

my error occurs as part of make;

and still is:

fib2_ui.c:76:29: error: 'FIB_TABLE_LIMIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
fib2_ui.c:76:29: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[5] *** [fib2_ui.lo] Error 1
make[5] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp/mpn'
make[4] ***all-recursive] Error 1
make[4] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
make[3] *** [all] Error 2
make[3] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
make[2] *** [all-stage1-gmp] Error 2
make[2] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
make[1] *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
make: *** [all] Error 2

> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:41:15 +0000
> Subject: Re: GCJ building
> From: dnpaterson@gmail.com
> To: stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk
> CC: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org; java@gcc.gnu.org
>
> On 11 March 2012 23:51, Me Myself and I <stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I'm right with you all the way up to step 7:
> >
> > #7)
> >
> > cd objdir;
> >
> > ./../gcc-4.6.2/configure;
> >
> > [completes with no problem]
> >
> > #8) make;
> >
> > [gives me the same error messages]
> >
> > Any ideas about what's happening?
>
> Do you mean it failed on step 7 (configure) or step 8 (make)?
>
> I get the impression that configure succeeded and make failed - but
> whichever failed,
> can you copy and paste the error messages you're now getting.
>
> It can't be exactly the same errors, since your directory structure
> must be different
> if you've followed the other steps I listed in my previous post.
>
> If you're still getting a message about FIB_TABLE_LIMIT then I may not
> be able to
> help, since I'm not getting this error, and I'm not knowledgable
> enough about the GCC
> build process to really help with that.
>
> Let's have a look at the new error messages and see if there are any
> clues.  If you can
> find the relevant config.log section too, that would also help...
>
> Regards,
>
> David P.

* RE: GCJ building
       [not found]         ` <4F5E7971.4050408@digium.com>
@ 2012-03-13  3:17           ` Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-03-13  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java

But the thing is that I havn't, my objdir exists one cd ..
step back, outside my gcc-4.6.2 directory, despite what this error message says.

Do I need to use --prefix  ?  What aught I set it's value to?

Is there anyone else out there who knows what has been happening?

If not, is there anyone out there who has succeeded in building gcc with gcj?

Could they throw me an internet link if they have?

> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:32:17 -0500
> From: kpfleming@digium.com
> To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: Re: GCJ building
>
> On 03/12/2012 04:30 PM, Me Myself and I wrote:
> >
> > my error occurs as part of make;
> >
> > and still is:
> >
> > fib2_ui.c:76:29: error: 'FIB_TABLE_LIMIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > fib2_ui.c:76:29: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
> > make[5] *** [fib2_ui.lo] Error 1
> > make[5] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp/mpn'
> > make[4] ***all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[4] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
> > make[3] *** [all] Error 2
> > make[3] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
> > make[2] *** [all-stage1-gmp] Error 2
> > make[2] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
> > make[1] *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> > make[1] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> If these are *still* the error messages you get, then you are *still*
> putting the object directory underneath the source directory. Rather
> than posting snippets of what you did, we need to see the exact, entire
> sequence of commands you issued in order to show you where you are going
> wrong.
>
> --
> Kevin P. Fleming
> Digium, Inc. | Director of Software Technologies
> Jabber: kfleming@digium.com | SIP: kpfleming@digium.com | Skype: kpfleming
> Check us out at www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org

* Re: GCJ building
@ 2012-03-13 12:26             ` David Paterson
From: David Paterson @ 2012-03-13 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 13 March 2012 03:17, Me Myself and I <stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk> wrote:

> But the thing is that I havn't, my objdir exists one cd ..
> step back, outside my gcc-4.6.2 directory, despite what this error message says.

OK, against my better judgement, I'll try one more time.

You're either copying messages from older posts, thinking the say the
same as you see on your screen, or you're not typing the commands you
should be (and think you are).

"Feel free to follow along with my simple step-by-step instructions. I
make building FUN!!"
"To begin draw an S, for snake. or GCC. Er, whatever."

Erm, sorry :-)

Anyway, try the following commands :-

    $ cd ~

You should now be in your home directory...

    $ mkdir alice

    $ cd alice

    $ pwd
    /home/davidp/alice

OK - now unpack GCC into this directory.  DO NOT COPY from your old
build attempts - unpack / unzip the original download.
If you copy the old source tree you will probably get errors again, as
it's probably corrupt.

    $ ls
    gcc-4.6.2

Get the other bits you want to build

    $ cd gcc-4.6.2
    $ ./contrib/download_prerequisites

Return to the previous directory

    $ cd ..
    $ pwd
    /home/davidp/alice

NOTE - if you are not in directory "alice" then the following steps
will not work, and you will likely get the same errors as before

Now create a directory to build in

    $ mkdir bob
    $ cd bob
    $ pwd
    /home/davidp/alice/bob

    $ ls
    bob  gcc-4.6.2

NOTE - double check the directory you're now in.  It should NOT be
anywhere under gcc-4.6.2.

Now we can build...

    $ ../gcc-4.6.2/configure

followed by

    $ make

Follow these steps, and if the build doesn't work (again) then copy
the error messages from your console window, not from previous emails.

With these steps there should NOT be any occurence of "objdir"
anywhere in the source or object trees.

Regards,

David P.

* GCJ building
@ 2012-03-14  0:13               ` Me Myself and I
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-03-14  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java

I have performed precisely these steps,

and still get the error messages after make;

fib2_ui.c:76:29: error: 'FIB_TABLE_LIMIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
fib2_ui.c:76:29: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[5] *** [fib2_ui.lo] Error 1
make[5] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp/mpn'
make[4] ***all-recursive] Error 1
make[4] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
make[3] *** [all] Error 2
make[3] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
make[2] *** [all-stage1-gmp] Error 2
make[2] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
make[1] *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
make: *** [all] Error 2

My build directory is named compiler.

The only thing I can think of is a possible issue with the java related source code.

I use the files

gcc-core-4.6.2.tar
gcc-java-4.6.2.tar

I paste the extracted java files and directories over the gcc files and directories.
It says that there is some replacing involved, so I let it replace them.

Aside from this, I'm not sure what else to do.  If there is no help for my situation here,
could someone give me a URL link for a successfully compiled mingw esque or otherwise,
from source code built, gcj for Windows to just download?

* Re: GCJ building
@ 2012-03-14  1:44                 ` Ian Lance Taylor
       [not found]                 ` <CAH6eHdSbP4q8-y7q5=b2R3Szr0RHfxfP2rRWqYCTRV5FsiDxCA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-03-14  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

Me Myself and I <stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk> writes:

> Aside from this, I'm not sure what else to do.  If there is no help for my situation here,
> could someone give me a URL link for a successfully compiled mingw esque or otherwise,
> from source code built, gcj for Windows to just download?

Perhaps you could try

answering

our

questions

?
?
?
?

At this point I don't understand how to distinguish you from a troll.

Ian

* RE: GCJ building
       [not found]                 ` <CAH6eHdSbP4q8-y7q5=b2R3Szr0RHfxfP2rRWqYCTRV5FsiDxCA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-03-14  4:34                   ` Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-03-14  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java

You can, but there are collisions.  That just what I'm saying.

Is this as it should be or not?

> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:19:55 +0000
> Subject: Re: GCJ building
> From: jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
> To: stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk
> CC: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
>
> On 14 March 2012 00:13, Me Myself and I wrote:
> > I use the files
> >
> > gcc-core-4.6.2.tar
> > gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
> >
> > I paste the extracted java files and directories over the gcc files and directories.
> > It says that there is some replacing involved, so I let it replace them.
>
> You shouldn't need to paste anything, you should be able to just
> extract them to the same place.
>
> What are you copying, in order to paste them?  Is it a directory
> you've already built in once?
>
> Try just extracting the files from the tar ball to the same place,
> don't copy or paste anything.  At no point has anyone suggested
> pasting anything.

* Re: GCJ building
       [not found]                 ` <CAH6eHdSbP4q8-y7q5=b2R3Szr0RHfxfP2rRWqYCTRV5FsiDxCA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-03-14  9:14                 ` David Paterson
From: David Paterson @ 2012-03-14  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 14 March 2012 00:13, Me Myself and I <stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk> wrote:

> I have performed precisely these steps,
>
> and still get the error messages after make;
>
> fib2_ui.c:76:29: error: 'FIB_TABLE_LIMIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
> fib2_ui.c:76:29: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
> make[5] *** [fib2_ui.lo] Error 1
> make[5] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp/mpn'
> make[4] ***all-recursive] Error 1
> make[4] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
> make[3] *** [all] Error 2
> make[3] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
> make[2] *** [all-stage1-gmp] Error 2
> make[2] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
> make[1] *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> make[1] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> My build directory is named compiler.

Sorry, but you obviously haven't followed the step-by-step
instructions.  You may think you are, but you appear to be building in
the wrong directory - there's no sign of a "compiler" directory name
in the error messages, and the build should not be happening in the
source tree.  This appears to be just a copy and paste of messages
from previous emails.

We've asked you several times to paste in the commands you're using,
but you haven't done that.  I have no idea what you're doing, but it
certainly isn't what everyone keeps telling you to do.

> The only thing I can think of is a possible issue with the java related source code.
>
> I use the files
>
> gcc-core-4.6.2.tar
> gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
>
> I paste the extracted java files and directories over the gcc files and directories.
> It says that there is some replacing involved, so I let it replace them.

But did you extract gcc into a clean, empty directory?  If you're
still using the same, corrupt, source tree, then of course you'll get
errors.

Try building gcc WITHOUT Java, to see if that works.  If it does, then
perhaps there's something wrong with the Java build process.  If it
doesn't then there's something wrong in your commands / directories.

> Aside from this, I'm not sure what else to do.  If there is no help for my situation here,
> could someone give me a URL link for a successfully compiled mingw esque or otherwise,
> from source code built, gcj for Windows to just download?

One major problem is that you're not providing the information needed
to help you.  Until you answer some of the questions people keep
asking, I doubt if we'll ever figure out what's going wrong...

Regards,

David P.

* Re: GCJ building
@ 2012-03-14 12:40                   ` Chris Burdess
From: Chris Burdess @ 2012-03-14 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 09:13 +0000, David Paterson wrote:
> Sorry, but you obviously haven't followed the step-by-step
> instructions.  You may think you are, but you appear to be building in
> the wrong directory - there's no sign of a "compiler" directory name
> in the error messages, and the build should not be happening in the
> source tree.  This appears to be just a copy and paste of messages
> from previous emails.
>
> We've asked you several times to paste in the commands you're using,
> but you haven't done that.  I have no idea what you're doing, but it
> certainly isn't what everyone keeps telling you to do.

Here is a list of instructions that even my cat could follow:

1. Open a MinGW shell.
2. Type: rm -rf /g; mkdir /g
3. Download the following files from
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/ :
  gmp-4.3.2.tar.bz2
  mpfr-2.4.2.tar.bz2
  mpc-0.8.1.tar.gz
4. Place these files in the g directory you just created. If you just
accepted all the defaults that the MinGW installer supplied, this will
be at C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\g .
5. Download the following files from
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-4.6.3/ :
  gcc-4.6.3.tar.bz2
  gcc-java-4.6.3.tar.bz2
6. Place these files in the g directory you created.
8. Type the following:
  cd /g
  tar jxf gmp-4.3.2.tar.bz2
  cd gmp-4.3.2
  ./configure --prefix=/mingw
  make && make install
  cd /g
  tar jxf mpfr-2.4.2.tar.bz2
  cd mpfr-2.4.2
  ./configure --prefix=/mingw
  make && make install
  cd /g
  tar zxf mpc-0.8.1.tar.gz
  cd mpc-0.8.1
  ./configure --prefix=/mingw
  make && make install
  cd /g
  tar jxf gcc-4.6.3.tar.bz2
  tar jxf gcc-java-4.6.3.tar.bz2
  mkdir build
  cd build
  ../gcc-4.6.3/configure --prefix=/mingw --enable-java
  make && make install

If this doesn't work, you sodded something up: either you typed
something wrong, or you did something else not described here. Start
again from step 1. If it still doesn't work, you probably broke your
MinGW installation. Uninstall it and reinstall it using the defaults,
then start again from step 1.

This results in a working gcj on a clean Windows XP SP3 for me.