public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* Re: About gcj present and future
@ 2013-01-17 19:17 bbaker
From: bbaker @ 2013-01-17 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

GCJ has several cool features.  The important one to me is CNI.  A CNI
interface to OpenJDK would be a positive step for the credibility of
CNI and hence GCJ.  Not to mention it would be extremely useful to
OpenJDK.

I'm a programmer, but I honestly have no idea the level of effert
required for such a feature, or if it is even in the realm of
realistic.  I suspect there are both a brute-force-almost-impossible
method and an extremely clever 10K SLOC method.

bbaker

* About gcj present and future
@ 2013-01-08  5:26 Ernesto
From: Ernesto @ 2013-01-08  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

Hi,

I'm new on this mailing list and new to gcj and I find it fascinating.
I have several questions about gcj present and future:

1. Are there new developments on it? Support for Java 7 language new
features? (like automatic resource management or the new List<>()
diamond constructors?)

2. I installed it in a Xubuntu linux box and Swing works fine on it,
but in Mac OS X Swing simply does not work. Is any Mac related work on
it?

3. I read somewhere that gcj is in "active maintenance mode". Does
that mean that we can trust it will be available in next versions of
gcc? Or is there some plan to discontinue it? I want to start an app
on it and I would want to know it will be available for several years
now (CNI interface is a very amazing piece of technology).

Thanks!