public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* "limitations of static linking." for the Cygwin/Ming port of gcj
@ 2011-06-13  3:49 Franklin Chou
From: Franklin Chou @ 2011-06-13  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

Hi all:

First off I'd like to say it's great to have a compiler running without
all the Sun Microsystems/Oracle branding.

I'm running gcj version 3.4.4 on Cygwin 1.7.9 with java version 1.6

According to this message:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2005-04/msg00050.html

and the correspondence, gcj has trouble with dynamic linking for the
regexp classes. But as of 2009:

September 22, 2009
GCJ support on Windows (Cygwin and MinGW) targets has been enhanced with
a number of bugfixes, and the option to build libgcj in DLL form for
dynamic runtime linking.

"dynamic runtime linking" which I understand can fix the exception has
been enabled. My question is when compiling code with the String.split()
method, I still get the error at runtime:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Not implemented
     <<No stacktrace available>>

so how would I go about fixing this?
I'm new to cygwin and gcj but I've used linux command line for a little
over 2 years now.

Much appreciated.
Franklin

* Re: "limitations of static linking." for the Cygwin/Ming port of gcj
@ 2011-06-13  9:16 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2011-06-13  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

On 13/06/11 04:49, Franklin Chou wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> First off I'd like to say it's great to have a compiler running without
> all the Sun Microsystems/Oracle branding.
>
> I'm running gcj version 3.4.4 on Cygwin 1.7.9 with java version 1.6
>
> According to this message:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2005-04/msg00050.html
>
> and the correspondence, gcj has trouble with dynamic linking for the
> regexp classes. But as of 2009:
>
> September 22, 2009
> GCJ support on Windows (Cygwin and MinGW) targets has been enhanced with
> a number of bugfixes, and the option to build libgcj in DLL form for
> dynamic runtime linking.
>
> "dynamic runtime linking" which I understand can fix the exception has
> been enabled. My question is when compiling code with the String.split()
> method, I still get the error at runtime:
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Not implemented
>      <<No stacktrace available>>
>
> so how would I go about fixing this?

I'm a gcj maintainer but I just don't know about Windows DLLs.  Your
problem is going to be finding someone with the right combination of
interests.  I'll help if I can, but I doubt that will be very much.

Andrew.