public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* No gcj 64 bit compilation support? What the?
@ 2011-09-15  8:16 Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2011-09-15  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java

I am compiling Java source code in Mandriva 2011 64 bit,
and default mode runs happily.

The -m32 mode behaves as expected.

However, when I try

gcj Test.java --main=Test -m64 -o Test.bin

 I get the error:

jc1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in

If my linux is 64 bit and if I omit -m64 and let it proceed,
will gcj compile into 64 bit by default?

> This error means that your gcj compiler was built without support for
> x86 64-bit mode.
>
> Ian

Then why is this, if my compiler is on a 64 bit operating system with
64 bit hardware?  Shouldn't it compile to 64 bit files anyway?
Isn't the operating system really doing this by default? Is this my reply really accurate?
If not, why not? Where can I find simple instructions to build gcj
to compile 64 bit optimised executable files?

* Re: No gcj 64 bit compilation support? What the?
@ 2011-09-15  8:33 ` Chris Burdess
From: Chris Burdess @ 2011-09-15  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gcc+build+64+bit
--
Chris Burdess

* Re: No gcj 64 bit compilation support? What the?
@ 2011-09-15  8:39 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2011-09-15  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 09/15/2011 09:16 AM, Me Myself and I wrote:

> Then why is this, if my compiler is on a 64 bit operating system with
> 64 bit hardware?  Shouldn't it compile to 64 bit files anyway?
> Isn't the operating system really doing this by default? Is this my reply really accurate?
> If not, why not? Where can I find simple instructions to build gcj
> to compile 64 bit optimised executable files?

We don't know the answers to any of these questions because we don't
know who built the gcj you're using or what OS it runs on.

Andrew.

* Re: No gcj 64 bit compilation support? What the?
@ 2011-09-15  8:44   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-09-15  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 15 September 2011 09:39, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 09:16 AM, Me Myself and I wrote:
>

>> Then why is this, if my compiler is on a 64 bit operating system with
>> 64 bit hardware?  Shouldn't it compile to 64 bit files anyway?
>> Isn't the operating system really doing this by default? Is this my reply really accurate?
>> If not, why not? Where can I find simple instructions to build gcj
>> to compile 64 bit optimised executable files?
>
> We don't know the answers to any of these questions because we don't
> know who built the gcj you're using or what OS it runs on.

The OP mentioned Mandriva 2011 but that still doesn't tell us much,
this is a gcc list not a Mandriva one so we don't know about the
distro or what packages are installed.

Does Mandriva ship an x86_64.rpm for gcj?  Have you installed it?
What does "rpm -qa *gcj*" show?

* Re: No gcj 64 bit compilation support? What the?
@ 2011-09-15  9:07     ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2011-09-15  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: Me Myself and I, gcc-help, java

On 09/15/2011 09:43 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 15 September 2011 09:39, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 09/15/2011 09:16 AM, Me Myself and I wrote:
>>

>>> Then why is this, if my compiler is on a 64 bit operating system with
>>> 64 bit hardware?  Shouldn't it compile to 64 bit files anyway?
>>> Isn't the operating system really doing this by default? Is this my reply really accurate?
>>> If not, why not? Where can I find simple instructions to build gcj
>>> to compile 64 bit optimised executable files?
>>
>> We don't know the answers to any of these questions because we don't
>> know who built the gcj you're using or what OS it runs on.
>
> The OP mentioned Mandriva 2011 but that still doesn't tell us much,
> this is a gcc list not a Mandriva one so we don't know about the
> distro or what packages are installed.

Ah yes, sorry.  I don't know anything about Mandriva.

I really don't know why anyone would want to use -m64 on a 64-bit host.
64-bit is going to be the default anyway.  I have no idea why you'd get
an error from -m64, though.

Someone who knows Mandriva may know the answers to these questions.

Andrew.