public inbox for jit@gcc.gnu.org
From: Basile Starynkevitch <basile@starynkevitch.net>
To: David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>, jit@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: licensing questions
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2019 00:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2/21/19 6:51 PM, David Malcolm wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-02-21 at 18:23 +0100, Paulo Matos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> libgccjit is released with GCC and therefore GPLv3.
>> This seems to mean, from my relatively low knowledge in this area,
>> that
>> all libraries linking to libgccjit to create bindings and libraries
>> and
>> applications linking to this library are forced into GPLv3.
>>
>> I though LGPL was created with the purpose of stopping the viral
>> spread
>> of GPLv3. Was it the authors decision to make it GPLv3 instead of
>> LGPL -
>> which would have been, I guess, more flexible?
> [I am not a lawyer, and I don't represent anyone here]
>
> IIRC, my thinking at that time was that the GCC-as-shared-library
> feature might be controversial (as well as a technical challenge), and
> I didn't want to have to also deal with a license debate on top of
> those two.  Hence I went with the GPLv3 as a path of last resistance.
I don't think you could change that. libgccjit was obviously, when you
start writing it, a derivative work of GCC. And at that time GCC was
(and today still is) GPLv3+ licensed (with exceptions).
> I haven't yet run into any issues with the license in my own work (but
> all my work is free software, so...)
>
> The FSF owns the copyright here.  Perhaps a case could be made that it
> might serve the FSF's strategic interests to allow some kind of dual
> licensing of libgccjit, but I'm not sure either way.  (It's not
> something I want to spend my own cycles on pursuing, but if someone
> else cares, fair enough; I suspect that that's more a topic for an FSF-
> strategy-focused-list, rather than this mailing list, though).

I share your analysis, and as a past minor contributor to GCC (but not
to libgccjit) I don't even want its license to change. I am happy with
GCC being GPLv3+ (and that license was a positive motivation to
contribute to it in the past).

I would warn any reader of jit@gcc.gnu.org that wanting to change GCC
license is an enormous goal (unreasonable, and that I dislike). My
personal opinion is that it is unlikely to happen (unless a GPLv4
appears, which is not on my radar).

My understanding is that libgccjit is part of GCC so has the same
license. And wanting to change the license of GCC is really completely
unreasonable (and something I personally disagree with, but in any case
only the FSF could change that license, being the legal owner of GCC).

Of course, discussing license on jit@gcc.gnu.org is completely
off-topic. Sorry for that.

Cheers.

--
Basile STARYNKEVITCH   == http://starynkevitch.net/Basile
opinions are mine only - les opinions sont seulement miennes