public inbox for jit@gcc.gnu.org
From: Basile Starynkevitch <basile@starynkevitch.net>
To: Paulo Matos <pmatos@linki.tools>, jit@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: licensing questions
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2019 00:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2/21/19 6:23 PM, Paulo Matos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> libgccjit is released with GCC and therefore GPLv3.
> This seems to mean, from my relatively low knowledge in this area, that
> all libraries linking to libgccjit to create bindings and libraries and
> applications linking to this library are forced into GPLv3.
Why would that be a problem? I see that as an advantage!

> I though LGPL was created with the purpose of stopping the viral spread
> of GPLv3. Was it the authors decision to make it GPLv3 instead of LGPL -
> which would have been, I guess, more flexible?

I am not a lawyer, and I am not member of FSF or of GCC steering
committee. (In the past, I did contribute some plugin-related code of GCC).

But libgccjit is a derivative of, and now a part of, GCC, and GCC is
mostly GPLv3+ licensed.

You are allowed to compile proprietary programs with GCC thanks to the
GCC Runtime Library exception. Study it
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-3.1.en.html carefully. Notice
that GCC plugins almost have to be free software... to allow you to
still compile proprietary code using them.

I cannot say for sure if the GCC Runtime Library exception applies to
libgccjit, and how exactly (I believe it does apply). Ask your lawyers,
and ask the FSF.

I don't like stating that GPLv3 is viral. That word is pejorative. GPLv3
is a strong copyleft license, and if you improve or use GCC (or use
libgccjit, considered to be part of GCC) you are bound to it.

If the license of libgccjit don't fit your needs, then don't use
libgccjit. That is no different with any other code (e.g. GNU readline
is also a GPLv3 library). In general, if an open source project has a
license you don't like, don't use that open source project!

Cheers

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   == http://starynkevitch.net/Basile
opinions are mine only - les opinions sont seulement miennes
Bourg La Reine, France