public inbox for jit@gcc.gnu.org
* libgccjit questions
@ 2020-09-09  2:50 Daurnimator
From: Daurnimator @ 2020-09-09  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm, jit

Hi,

I'm looking into using libgccjit as an ahead-of-time compiler to write
a backend for zig (https://ziglang.org/)
I've got a few questions I hope you can answer:

What became of cross-compilation? I saw it mentioned as a possible
roadmap item in
https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/jit/2015-q3/msg00086.html)

How can I support inline assembly?

Would it be reasonable to add an API that allows extracting sections
without writing out to a file and reading it back in?
Alteratively, would it be possible to get a pointer and length to e.g.
an ELF in memory?

Should distros be packaging libgccjit?
I noticed that e.g. ArchLinux is not. Possibly because it is
documented as "experimental"; possibly because it requires building
gcc with --enable-host-shared ?

What is the license situation with libgccjit; is it GPL? LGPL? what
does this mean for code that uses libgccjit?

Thanks,
Daurnimator