public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* SRFI 27
@ 2019-10-22  2:12 taknamay
From: taknamay @ 2019-10-22  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Hi, just wondering if there is a particular reason SRFI 27 has not been
implemented yet. If not, I think it would be super-easy given the built-in
Java PRNG capabilities. If nobody has time to get around to it, I can
submit a patch.

Jason

* Re: SRFI 27
@ 2019-10-22  4:25 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2019-10-22  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: taknamay, kawa

On 10/21/19 7:11 PM, taknamay wrote:
> Hi, just wondering if there is a particular reason SRFI 27 has not been
> implemented yet. If not, I think it would be super-easy given the built-in
> Java PRNG capabilities. If nobody has time to get around to it, I can
> submit a patch.

Mainly, because no-one has been sufficiently motivated.

Also, for a good implementation a little research seems in order,
and it probably makes sense to use the available Java tools,
such java.util.Random or java.security.SecureRandom.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: SRFI 27
@ 2019-10-22 12:13   ` Sudarshan S Chawathe
From: Sudarshan S Chawathe @ 2019-10-22 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: taknamay, kawa

I have been using a version of SRFI 27 for Kawa that is part of a the
"r7rs-libs" collection of libraries put together by Peter Lane a while
back.  On checking the online sources now, though, the material seems to
have fallen off the Web at some point in the past year, so here is an
archive.org link that I found to a version from last year:

  https://web.archive.org/web/20180613041335/https://github.com/petercrlane/r7rs-libs

And here is the announcement from a while back:

  https://www.lispforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4635

The implementation is quite simple and builds on java.util.Random, but
not SecureRandom).

That collection (r7rs-libs) has some other useful libraries too, such as
a good portion (maybe all) of SLIB.

Regards,

-chaw

> On 10/21/19 7:11 PM, taknamay wrote:
> > Hi, just wondering if there is a particular reason SRFI 27 has not been
> > implemented yet. If not, I think it would be super-easy given the built-in
> > Java PRNG capabilities. If nobody has time to get around to it, I can
> > submit a patch.
>
> Mainly, because no-one has been sufficiently motivated.
>
> Also, for a good implementation a little research seems in order,
> and it probably makes sense to use the available Java tools,
> such java.util.Random or java.security.SecureRandom.
> --
> 	--Per Bothner
> per@bothner.com   http://per.bothner.com/

* Re: SRFI 27
@ 2019-10-22 13:19     ` Sudarshan S Chawathe
From: Sudarshan S Chawathe @ 2019-10-22 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner, taknamay, kawa

I'm not sure why I didn't think of it earlier, but it is probably more
useful to point to my fork of the code instead of the archive.org link:

  https://github.com/chaw/r7rs-libs

In particluar, the Kawa-specific SRFI 27 code is at:

  https://github.com/chaw/r7rs-libs/blob/master/srfis/kawa/srfi/27.sld

Regards,

-chaw