public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* More internals documentation
@ 2018-11-09 23:47 Emmanuel Oga
From: Emmanuel Oga @ 2018-11-09 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Hi,

I found this excellent documentation:

https://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/internals/index.html

It mentions that it may be out of date (apparently the document is more or
less exactly 10 years old!).

I was wondering if there are other complimentary docs or presentation I
should watch to learn more about kawa implementation and in general how to
compile scheme to java.

Thanks!

* Re: More internals documentation
@ 2018-11-10  0:01 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2018-11-10  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel Oga, kawa

On 11/9/18 3:47 PM, Emmanuel Oga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found this excellent documentation:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/internals/index.html
>
> It mentions that it may be out of date (apparently the document is more or
> less exactly 10 years old!).

Actually, 20 years old, but it looks like the last update was 2009.
It could do with some work, but it's still a helpful overview.

> I was wondering if there are other complimentary docs or presentation I
> should watch to learn more about kawa implementation and in general how to
> compile scheme to java.

Not that I know.  You can study the code, of course, but I'm sure
it can be a bit overwhelming.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: More internals documentation
@ 2018-11-10  1:50   ` Emmanuel Oga
From: Emmanuel Oga @ 2018-11-10  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: kawa

Are there any changes from the top of your head in architecture that you
would highlight?

@ 2018-11-10  3:12     ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2018-11-10  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel Oga; +Cc: kawa

On 11/9/18 5:49 PM, Emmanuel Oga wrote:
> Are there any changes from the top of your head in architecture that you
> would highlight?

There are some more complicated passes in the various ExpVisitor (tree-walking) passes.
Most the complicated stuff happens in InlineCalls, but there are some complex
stuff happening in FineInlineCalls and elsewhere.  I don't think the internals
doc covers that very well.

--
	--Per Bothner