public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* Language Server Protocol
@ 2016-06-29  7:06 Helmut Eller
From: Helmut Eller @ 2016-06-29  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

I just read about Microsoft's Language Server Protocol[*], ie. a
protocol that Visual Studio uses to communicate with servers that
provide language (C++/Javascript etc) specific support for things like
"goto definition" in the editor.

This seems like a good approach for editor integration.  What do you
think, could/should Kawa include a server for this protocol?

Helmut

[*] https://github.com/Microsoft/language-server-protocol

* Re: Language Server Protocol
@ 2016-06-29  7:30 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2016-06-29  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

On 06/29/2016 12:05 AM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> I just read about Microsoft's Language Server Protocol[*], ie. a
> protocol that Visual Studio uses to communicate with servers that
> provide language (C++/Javascript etc) specific support for things like
> "goto definition" in the editor.
>
> This seems like a good approach for editor integration.  What do you
> think, could/should Kawa include a server for this protocol?

It's certainly worth considering.  I'd look at existing support
for JVM languages - maybe Java itself:

https://github.com/georgewfraser/vscode-javac

However, that seems to be javac API, so it may only be useful
in terms of concepts.

This might be more useful:
https://github.com/TypeFox/ls-api/tree/master/io.typefox.lsapi/src/main/java/io/typefox/lsapi
It would be even more useful to find a language implementation that uses the
above library.
--
	--Per Bothner