public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
To: kawa@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: proposal: move Kawa from Subversion to git on gitlab.com
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 23:37:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 11/13/2016 02:55 PM, Charlie Turner wrote:
> On 13 November 2016 at 00:58, Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:
>> * GitHub - not as Free Software-friendly; FSF disapproved.
>
> Out of interest, what happens to Kawa's relationship with the FSF if
> it were to pick GitHub, would you have to stop calling it free
> software?

No, definitely not.  The most they could say it we could no longer call
it *GNU* software. However, I don't think that much on an issue.  I view their
"report card" as more of recommendation, and a spur to providers to improve.

> The reasons given for why it's disapproved appear to be,
>
> 1) The GitHub website uses JavaScript that doesn't work in LibreJS, or
> that's it minified in some way to be considered "object code" by the
> FSF.
>
> 2) GitHub "might use some export control law" to block your repo.
>
> Regarding point 1), you don't need to use the GitHub website to
> contribute code, so that avoids you being subject to javascript you
> don't trust. You don't need to use the GitHub website to read code, or
> modify code.

Well, we don't want to pick a site that we recommend people not use ...
(Not that I'd go as far.)

> Regarding point 2), the github docs say "...[github.com] does not
> currently offer the ability to restrict repository access by country."
> you need to go "enterprise" for that ability, so that doesn't seem
> applicable to Kawa's situation either.

I'm confused about the FSF's complaint here. The summary links to a
page that states that export controls exists and that GitHub does
not see it as their job to enforce them.  I don't see anything wrong about that.

> TL;DR, I think GitHub is great, and it would be shame if we couldn't
> use it for the reasons above, or if I'm missing something. I'm not a
> lawyer :)

I agree FSF's points are weak, and if there were a strong reason to
prefer GitHub I wouldn't worry too much.  But there is something to
be said for picking the number 2 "we try harder" choice, if nothing
else than to encourage competition.  GitLab does seem to be a bit
more responsive in general, and to the FSF's concern in particular.
Plus it appears their continuous integration story is better.
Of the various GitHub vs GitLab comparisons I've seen, they both
have weak and strong points, but both are very similar featurewise.
--
	--Per Bothner