public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* Kawa IDE Integration
@ 2017-05-08 22:12 luser x
From: luser x @ 2017-05-08 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Heyo Kawa community,

I'm Harry, yet another CS student from Greece. Kawa IDE Integration is
the task and GSoC '17 is my mask ;) Have been quite a while in this
mailing list, but excuse me weaknesses, was too shy to properly
introduce myself (think that's not ''properly'' either).

So let's cut to the chase.
Eclipse ladies and gentlemen, that's the IDE of choice.
The main development plan for my noble task is to take SchemScript
(mr. SchemeWay's creation) and refresh it quite a bit.
That's gonna be my base. The crucial step is gonna be the
impelmentation of a well-functioning debugger on top of it.
Well that's pretty much it. We're still searching for solutions and
experimenting. Eclipse is definitely gonna be the IDE of choice.

What I really need is your feedback.
How does the idea sound?
Would you use it?
Do you have something else in mind?
Can you provide me with resources to ensure the quality of my work?

All feedback is welcome :D

Thanks for your time,
Harry Pantazis

P.S0: Iam not a Bot

* Re: Kawa IDE Integration
@ 2017-08-13  8:23 ` Jérôme Brilland
From: Jérôme Brilland @ 2017-08-13  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Hello,
I am very interested in your idea.

How does the idea sound? Very good
Would you use it? Definitely yes !
Do you have something else in mind? No.

Regards,
Jérôme Brilland

On 09/05/2017 00:12, luser x wrote:
> Heyo Kawa community,
>
> I'm Harry, yet another CS student from Greece. Kawa IDE Integration is
> the task and GSoC '17 is my mask ;) Have been quite a while in this
> mailing list, but excuse me weaknesses, was too shy to properly
> introduce myself (think that's not ''properly'' either).
>
> So let's cut to the chase.
> Eclipse ladies and gentlemen, that's the IDE of choice.
> The main development plan for my noble task is to take SchemScript
> (mr. SchemeWay's creation) and refresh it quite a bit.
> That's gonna be my base. The crucial step is gonna be the
> impelmentation of a well-functioning debugger on top of it.
> Well that's pretty much it. We're still searching for solutions and
> experimenting. Eclipse is definitely gonna be the IDE of choice.
>
> What I really need is your feedback.
> How does the idea sound?
> Would you use it?
> Do you have something else in mind?
> Can you provide me with resources to ensure the quality of my work?
>
> All feedback is welcome :D
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Harry Pantazis
>
> P.S0: Iam not a Bot

* Re: Kawa IDE Integration
@ 2017-08-13 18:47   ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2017-08-13 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

We have given up (at least for now) on a Kawa/Eclipse plugin.

What seems to make more sense is a Language Server Protocol
(http://langserver.org/) implementation for Kawa.  This would be useful
for a number of IDEs, as well as Emacs/Vim.

Duncan Mak has started looking at it. For an initial code base the
following makes sense: https://github.com/palantir/language-servers

We haven't gotten very far; if someone feels inspired, let us know.
I think the first goal that can getting on-the-fly error
message from the server to an IDE or editor.  That shouldn't
be very difficult.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: Kawa IDE Integration
@ 2017-08-14 16:30     ` Duncan Mak
From: Duncan Mak @ 2017-08-14 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yeah, please contact me if you're interested in working on this.

I started writing some of the base classes based on Palantir's
implementation, but I haven't made a lot of progress (yet).

Duncan.

--
Duncan.