public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* putting symbols into Environment
@ 2017-09-14  0:05 Sonny To
From: Sonny To @ 2017-09-14  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to use the TelnetRepl in an android Service but cannot
figure out how to put bindings into the environment

import android.app.Service
import android.content.Intent
import android.os.Binder
import android.os.IBinder
import android.util.Log
import gnu.expr.Language
import gnu.mapping.Environment
import gnu.mapping.Symbol
import kawa.TelnetRepl

/**
 * Created by sto on 9/12/17.
 */

class ReplService : Service() {
    val TAG = "ReplService"
    override fun onCreate() {
        Thread(Runnable {
            Log.e(TAG, "repl")
            try {
                val ssocket = java.net.ServerSocket(9999)
                val port = ssocket.localPort
                val lang = Language.getInstance(null as String?)
                Language.setDefaults(lang)
                Log.e(TAG, "repl listening on port " + port)

                while (true) {
                    Log.e(TAG, "waiting ... ")
                    val client = ssocket.accept()
                    Log.e(TAG, "got connection from "
                            + client.inetAddress
                            + " port:" + client.port)
                    TelnetRepl.serve(lang, client)
                    val env = Environment.getCurrent()
                    env.put(Symbol.makeUninterned("context", null),
applicationContext)
                }
            } catch (ex: java.io.IOException) {
                Log.e(TAG, ex.toString())
                throw Error(ex.toString())
            }
        }).start()
    }

    override fun onBind(i: Intent): IBinder {
        return Binder();

I can telnet to it but the "context" symbol is not available

#|kawa:4|# context
/dev/stdin:4:1: unbound location: context
at gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.apply(ReferenceExp.java:163)
at gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule2(ModuleExp.java:281)
at gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule(ModuleExp.java:211)
at kawa.Shell.run(Shell.java:283)
at kawa.Shell.run(Shell.java:196)
at kawa.Shell.run(Shell.java:183)
at kawa.TelnetRepl.apply0(TelnetRepl.java:25)
at gnu.mapping.RunnableClosure.run(RunnableClosure.java:75)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)

Do I have the wrong environment? if so how to get the correct environment?

thanks,
Sonny

* Re: putting symbols into Environment
@ 2017-09-14  0:28 ` Per Bothner
       [not found]   ` <CAJxjsJv-_yabJvr7PkxyqKS+b7bQ2RoL40ORsfJG5vmRv0KAWA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Per Bothner @ 2017-09-14  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/13/2017 05:05 PM, Sonny To wrote:
> I'm trying to use the TelnetRepl in an android Service but cannot
> figure out how to put bindings into the environment

>                      env.put(Symbol.makeUninterned("context", null),
> applicationContext)

> I can telnet to it but the "context" symbol is not available
>
> #|kawa:4|# context
> /dev/stdin:4:1: unbound location: context

That would be expected if you use Symbol.makeUninterned.
An uninterned symbol is a unique object that you can *not*
"lookup".  For example (string->symbol "context") is the
same as 'symbol - but (Symbol:makeUninterned "context") is a completely
different object.

Instead, try Symbol.valueOf("context").

> Do I have the wrong environment? if so how to get the correct environment?

There might be other problems, but fix the above-mentioned problem first.
--
	--Per Bothner

@ 2017-09-15 12:48     ` Sonny To
From: Sonny To @ 2017-09-15 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

How close does kawa stick to standard scheme? I'm trying these
functions described here
https://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/documentation/mit-scheme-ref/Environment-Operations.html
and none of work

#|kawa:5|# (define e (environment))
#|kawa:6|# (environment-bindings e)
/dev/stdin:6:2: unbound location: environment-bindings
at gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.apply(ReferenceExp.java:163)
at gnu.expr.Expression.applyMethodExpression(Expression.java:41)
at gnu.mapping.CallContext$ReflectMethodHandle.invokeExact(CallContext.java:726)
at gnu.mapping.CallContext.runUntilDone(CallContext.java:586)
at gnu.mapping.CallContext.getFromContext(CallContext.java:616)
at gnu.expr.Expression.eval(Expression.java:52)
at gnu.expr.ApplyExp.apply(ApplyExp.java:161)
at gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule2(ModuleExp.java:281)
at gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule(ModuleExp.java:211)
at kawa.Shell.run(Shell.java:283)
at kawa.Shell.run(Shell.java:196)
at kawa.Shell.run(Shell.java:183)
at kawa.TelnetRepl.apply0(TelnetRepl.java:25)
at gnu.mapping.RunnableClosure.run(RunnableClosure.java:75)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)
#|kawa:7|# (environment-bound-names e)
/dev/stdin:7:2: unbound location: environment-bound-names

@ 2017-09-15 13:48     ` Sonny To
From: Sonny To @ 2017-09-15 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

oddly the fix is to first put into the environment before creating the repl

val env = Environment.getCurrent()
env.put(Symbol.valueOf("context"), applicationContext)
TelnetRepl.serve(lang, client)

the symbol "context" is now available in the repl

@ 2017-09-15 14:55       ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2017-09-15 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/15/2017 05:48 AM, Sonny To wrote:
> How close does kawa stick to standard scheme? I'm trying these
> functions described here
> https://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/documentation/mit-scheme-ref/Environment-Operations.html
> and none of work

That page is for MIT Scheme - a specific Scheme implementation/dialect,
not "standard Scheme".

> #|kawa:5|# (define e (environment))
> #|kawa:6|# (environment-bindings e)
> /dev/stdin:6:2: unbound location: environment-bindings

The Git version of Kawa (and soon Kawa 3.0) includes environment-fold

-- Procedure: (environment-fold environment proc init)
      Call PROC for each key in the ENVIRONMENT, which may be any
      argument to ‘eval’, such as ‘(interaction-environment)’ or a call
      to the ‘environment’ procedure.  The PROC is called with two
      arguments: The binding’s key, and an accumulator value.  The INIT
      is the initial accumulator value; the result returned by PROC is
      used for subsequent accumulator values.  The value returned by
      ‘environment-fold’ is the final acumulator value.

      A key is normally a symbol, but can also be a ‘KeyPair’ object (a
      pair of a symbol and a property symbol used to implement Common
      Lisp-style property lists).
           (environment-fold (environment '(scheme write)) cons '())
             ⇒ (display write-shared write write-simple)
      To get all the predefined bindings use
          (environment '(kawa base))

--
	--Per Bothner