public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* java8 requirement for kawa 2.1
@ 2015-10-28 14:24 Debabrata Pani
From: Debabrata Pani @ 2015-10-28 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

Hi Per,
Is java 8 mandatory for kawa 2.1 ? Can I recompile a jar with java 7?
(my svn update failed and hence not sure)
I was getting the unsupported class version error when i tried the
following command

java -jar ~/Downloads/kawa-2.1.jar

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
kawa/repl : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)

Regards,
Debabrata Pani

* Re: java8 requirement for kawa 2.1
@ 2015-10-28 16:47 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2015-10-28 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Debabrata Pani, kawa

On 10/28/2015 07:24 AM, Debabrata Pani wrote:
> Hi Per,
> Is java 8 mandatory for kawa 2.1 ?

The code checked in the Subversion should build with Java 7 as-is.
It can be pre-processed to compile work with Java 6.
It can also be pre-processed to enable some extra features for Java 8.

At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

The kawa-2.1.jar is *supposed* to run on Java 7, but I'm guessing
I make a mistake and built it on Java 8 (without the proper -target option);
I was in a hurry when I made the release.

>Can I recompile a jar with java 7?

You can't re-compile the jar.  You should be able to compile the
source code - kawa-2.1.tar.gz - with Java 7.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: java8 requirement for kawa 2.1
@ 2015-10-28 16:57   ` Debabrata Pani
From: Debabrata Pani @ 2015-10-28 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: kawa

>> Can I recompile a jar with java 7?
>

> You can't re-compile the jar.  You should be able to compile the
> source code - kawa-2.1.tar.gz - with Java 7.

Yes , I meant to say the same :-P
But yes the current version has been compiled with java 8 (without the
-target option, as you say)

Regards,
Debabrata Pani