public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* Pluvia 3D real-time Android weather app released, written in Kawa Scheme.
@ 2016-03-02 14:46 F. Rafael Leon
From: F. Rafael Leon @ 2016-03-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

I released my first Kawa Android app to the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.quantiana.pluvia

It is a near-real-time NEXRAD weather radar data viewer.

For raw numerical performance, I wrote the radar data pre-processors
using the Android NDK in C.

All the JVM code is in Kawa Scheme. It contains 0 lines of Java code.

The networking, jsoup XML parsing, OpenGL rendering, touch callbacks,
sensor callbacks, forecasting and 2D and 3D compositing were all
written in Kawa Scheme using live programming over a telnet REPL.

I posted the majority of the code here:

github.com/rafleon/KawaDroid

It is notable that Kawa Scheme has sufficient stability and
performance to do real-time 3D data visualization on Android.

   -Rafael

* Re: Pluvia 3D real-time Android weather app released, written in Kawa Scheme.
@ 2016-03-02 20:29 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2016-03-02 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: F. Rafael Leon, kawa

On 03/02/2016 06:46 AM, F. Rafael Leon wrote:
> I released my first Kawa Android app to the Play Store:
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.quantiana.pluvia
>
> It is a near-real-time NEXRAD weather radar data viewer.
>
> For raw numerical performance, I wrote the radar data pre-processors
> using the Android NDK in C.
>
> All the JVM code is in Kawa Scheme. It contains 0 lines of Java code.
>
> The networking, jsoup XML parsing, OpenGL rendering, touch callbacks,
> sensor callbacks, forecasting and 2D and 3D compositing were all
> written in Kawa Scheme using live programming over a telnet REPL.
>
> I posted the majority of the code here:
>
> github.com/rafleon/KawaDroid
>
> It is notable that Kawa Scheme has sufficient stability and
> performance to do real-time 3D data visualization on Android.

Cool!  I downloaded it, but today is not a good day for testing.
But more rain is expected soon ...

Perhaps you might consider writing an article about your experience,
for some website you're familiar with?
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: Pluvia 3D real-time Android weather app released, written in Kawa Scheme.
@ 2016-03-03  4:37   ` F. Rafael Leon
From: F. Rafael Leon @ 2016-03-03  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:
> Perhaps you might consider writing an article about your experience,
> for some website you're familiar with?

I most definitely will once I resolve my build system issues.

The app code itself is respectable and clean. The "live coding"
development experience within emacs using a telnet REPL is also
smooth.   I can write many happy interesting words on these topics.

However, for final production compiling and publishing to Google Play,
I used a spaghetti-code build system of Makefiles and gradle files
which set variables and tasks for the Android gradle plugin.

The build system is not in a good state and needs work.  Because of
the situation, ProGuard, resources/R.java, Google Play Services,
appcompat and NDK support are suffering or unstable.

Notably, if I had been using straight Java instead of Kawa, my
problems would have been far more serious because I would have
struggled with the build system daily instead of for a few hours at
the end of a project.

I am looking forward to a "build system epiphany" to complement the
other epiphanies that I have had using Kawa.

Specifically, the final solution will likely involve these two web pages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed_acyclic_graph

http://geosoft.no/development/android.html

    -Rafael