public inbox for libabigail@sourceware.org
From: Dodji Seketeli <dodji@seketeli.org>
To: Giuliano Procida <gprocida@google.com>
Cc: Thomas Schwinge <thomas@codesourcery.com>,
	 Giuliano Procida via Libabigail <libabigail@sourceware.org>,
	 Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
Subject: Re: 'src/abg-dwarf-reader.cc:compare_dies_string_attribute_value' optimization
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 18:16:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Giuliano Procida <gprocida@google.com> a écrit:

> I started looking at this today but I've run out of time. I'll be able to
> take another look in about a week.

Thanks a lot.

> Checks fail (various types are renumbered in XML output) starting at
> commit 57b1c714.

Yeah, that is unfortunately expected because ...

> I haven't tried this on kernel or framework libraries yet, but I know there
> are plenty of typedefs in both.

... of this exactly.

This typedef change has been on my radar for a long time.  The fact that
a type Foo would use a typedef T in one version and a typedef T' in
another once, where T and T' have the same underlying type would result
in the two instances of Foo to be different can wreak havoc on the self
check tests, where in reality the two types are not different from an
ABI standpoint.

I am hoping that this is one of those changes that will get us closer
to having more stable abixml output.

Please note however that you need the entire stack of changes to have
everything working "as expected", as far as I can tell.

Thank you for looking into this.

--
		Dodji