* Time to use the new DSO sorting as default?
@ 2021-10-21 19:29 Adhemerval Zanella
From: Adhemerval Zanella @ 2021-10-21 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Libc-alpha, Florian Weimer, Chung-Lin Tang, Carlos O'Donell,
	H.J. Lu, Joseph Myers

Now that we have the new DSO sorting algorithm (thanks Chung-Ling Tang), the
question is if and when make it the default.  I don't tested it extensively
besides running the testsuite on multiple different architectures, but the
testsuite now checks a lot of more permutations and allows us to craft and
check regression quick.

Carlos and Florian, do you think we should enable it as default so you can
pickup on Fedora and check if something breaks?

* Re: Time to use the new DSO sorting as default?
@ 2021-10-21 19:35 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2021-10-21 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adhemerval Zanella
  Cc: Libc-alpha, Chung-Lin Tang, Carlos O'Donell, H.J. Lu, Joseph Myers

* Adhemerval Zanella:

> Now that we have the new DSO sorting algorithm (thanks Chung-Ling Tang), the
> question is if and when make it the default.  I don't tested it extensively
> besides running the testsuite on multiple different architectures, but the
> testsuite now checks a lot of more permutations and allows us to craft and
> check regression quick.
>
> Carlos and Florian, do you think we should enable it as default so you can
> pickup on Fedora and check if something breaks?

I think we should switch the default for glibc 2.35, yes.

(I'm not even sure if we need both implementations, TBH.)

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Time to use the new DSO sorting as default?
@ 2021-10-21 19:54   ` Adhemerval Zanella
From: Adhemerval Zanella @ 2021-10-21 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer
  Cc: Libc-alpha, Chung-Lin Tang, Carlos O'Donell, H.J. Lu, Joseph Myers

On 21/10/2021 16:35, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Adhemerval Zanella:
>
>> Now that we have the new DSO sorting algorithm (thanks Chung-Ling Tang), the
>> question is if and when make it the default.  I don't tested it extensively
>> besides running the testsuite on multiple different architectures, but the
>> testsuite now checks a lot of more permutations and allows us to craft and
>> check regression quick.
>>
>> Carlos and Florian, do you think we should enable it as default so you can
>> pickup on Fedora and check if something breaks?
>
> I think we should switch the default for glibc 2.35, yes.
>
> (I'm not even sure if we need both implementations, TBH.)

I chatted briefly with Carlos and he started to spin a rawhide build/test
and I think once we have some confidence that it is ok and can make the
flip and remove the old implementation.  I agree that there is no much
gain in keeping an implementation with worse expectations if the newer
on provides the same functionality.