* online reference manual
@ 2023-08-17  7:35 Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2023-08-17  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

       Hi,

while 2.38 is out, the online reference manual at
https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/index.html
still refers to 2.37.

Shouldn't we have an automatic process to update the web pages when
a new release is out?

Paul

* Re: online reference manual
@ 2023-08-19 19:28 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2023-08-19 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Zimmermann; +Cc: libc-alpha

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 09:35:06AM +0200, Paul Zimmermann via Libc-alpha wrote:
> while 2.38 is out, the online reference manual at
> https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/index.html
> still refers to 2.37.

Looks like the manual update process isn't listed on the release
process page: https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release
The process is documented at:
https://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/libc/libc/manual/README.txt?view=markup

That should probably be a step right after "Upload release".
It does require the release manager has a savannah account.

> Shouldn't we have an automatic process to update the web pages when
> a new release is out?

If you read the README you'll see it is mostly automated for releases
already. The step was just forgotten it seems.

Based on that I did automated the dist and manual creation process
also for trunk [1] using the Sourceware snapshot server. So we will
get snapshots now and we will know whether the manuals still
reproduces correctly.

https://snapshots.sourceware.org/glibc/trunk/latest/

Cheers,

Mark