* Clarification of IRC network for #glibc IRC channel?
@ 2021-05-31 16:51 Carlos O'Donell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2021-05-31 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Community,

The recent changes to Freenode and subsequent creation of
Libera.Chat make it difficult for new community members,
and existing ones, to know which network/channel will have
the right people to help answer questions and facilitate
discussions about glibc.

I want to clarify our official IRC channel to ensure that
we don't have any confusion over where to expect help will
come from. I'm looking for any feedback from the community.

Does the community have any preference about which IRC
network to use?

Should we move #glibc to Libera.Chat

Should we use #glibc on OFTC to be on the same network as #gcc?

Should we be on all the networks?

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Clarification of IRC network for #glibc IRC channel?
@ 2021-05-31 18:37 ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2021-05-31 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha

On 31 May 2021 12:51, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
> The recent changes to Freenode and subsequent creation of
> Libera.Chat make it difficult for new community members,
> and existing ones, to know which network/channel will have
> the right people to help answer questions and facilitate
> discussions about glibc.
>
> I want to clarify our official IRC channel to ensure that
> we don't have any confusion over where to expect help will
> come from. I'm looking for any feedback from the community.
>
> Does the community have any preference about which IRC
> network to use?
>
> Should we move #glibc to Libera.Chat
>
> Should we use #glibc on OFTC to be on the same network as #gcc?

i prefer OFTC while acknowledging that Libera.Chat probably has more users.
so we could maintain OFTC as the official one and register the Libera.Chat
as an officially unofficial one.

we should avoid & turndown freenode.
-mike

* Re: Clarification of IRC network for #glibc IRC channel?
@ 2021-06-01 15:55 ` Andreas K. Huettel
From: Andreas K. Huettel @ 2021-06-01 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

> Does the community have any preference about which IRC
> network to use?
>
> Should we move #glibc to Libera.Chat

From my perspective, yes... since so many projects have already moved
there.

See
https://gist.github.com/siraben/df534c378de7adc8e5dca05956f0ca95
for a rather impressive listing.

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
dilfridge@gentoo.org

* Re: Clarification of IRC network for #glibc IRC channel?
@ 2021-06-11  4:40 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2021-06-11  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha, Adhemerval Zanella, Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho

On 5/31/21 12:51 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Community,
>
> The recent changes to Freenode and subsequent creation of
> Libera.Chat make it difficult for new community members,
> and existing ones, to know which network/channel will have
> the right people to help answer questions and facilitate
> discussions about glibc.
>
> I want to clarify our official IRC channel to ensure that
> we don't have any confusion over where to expect help will
> come from. I'm looking for any feedback from the community.
>
> Does the community have any preference about which IRC
> network to use?
>
> Should we move #glibc to Libera.Chat
>
> Should we use #glibc on OFTC to be on the same network as #gcc?
>
> Should we be on all the networks?

Thank you Mike and Andreas for your feedback.

Adhemerval, Tulio, Do you have any opinion?

I usually talk to both of you via IRC.

I think my plan will look like this:
- Setup official #glibc channel on OFTC to be near #gcc.
- Maintain unofficial #glibc channel on Libera.Chat (already registered).
- Shutdown Freenode channel.

--

@ 2021-06-11 15:10   ` Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho
From: Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho @ 2021-06-11 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha, Adhemerval Zanella

Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha <libc-alpha@sourceware.org> writes:

> Adhemerval, Tulio, Do you have any opinion?

I don't have a preference.
I do agree to leaving Freenode.
I plan to connect to both Libera.Chat and OFTC.

> I usually talk to both of you via IRC.
>
> I think my plan will look like this:
> - Setup official #glibc channel on OFTC to be near #gcc.
> - Maintain unofficial #glibc channel on Libera.Chat (already registered).
> - Shutdown Freenode channel.

I like this proposal.

--
Tulio Magno

* Re: Clarification of IRC network for #glibc IRC channel?
@ 2021-06-11 15:11   ` Adhemerval Zanella
From: Adhemerval Zanella @ 2021-06-11 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha, Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho

On 11/06/2021 01:40, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 5/31/21 12:51 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> Community,
>>
>> The recent changes to Freenode and subsequent creation of
>> Libera.Chat make it difficult for new community members,
>> and existing ones, to know which network/channel will have
>> the right people to help answer questions and facilitate
>> discussions about glibc.
>>
>> I want to clarify our official IRC channel to ensure that
>> we don't have any confusion over where to expect help will
>> come from. I'm looking for any feedback from the community.
>>
>> Does the community have any preference about which IRC
>> network to use?
>>
>> Should we move #glibc to Libera.Chat
>>
>> Should we use #glibc on OFTC to be on the same network as #gcc?
>>
>> Should we be on all the networks?
>
> Thank you Mike and Andreas for your feedback.
>
> Adhemerval, Tulio, Do you have any opinion?
>
> I usually talk to both of you via IRC.
>
> I think my plan will look like this:
> - Setup official #glibc channel on OFTC to be near #gcc.
> - Maintain unofficial #glibc channel on Libera.Chat (already registered).
> - Shutdown Freenode channel.

Sounds good to me.