* Monday Patch Queue Review update (2022-05-30)
@ 2022-05-30 21:21 Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2022-05-30 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Most recent meeting status is always here:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/PatchworkReviewMeetings#Update

Meeting: 2022-05-30 @ 0900h EST5EDT

Video/Audio: https://bluejeans.com/9093064454

IRC: #glibc on OFTC.

Review new patches and attendee requested reviews.

 * State NEW delegate NOBODY, 228 patches.
 * Starting at 54476
 * elf: Remove ELF_RTYPE_CLASS_EXTERN_PROTECTED_DATA (Fangrui Song)
  * Needs review. Szabolcs: Same as aarch64.
  * This never worked.
 * [v2] elf: Remove one-default-version check when searching an unversioned symbol (Fangrui Song)
  * Florian made a comment about the underlying semantics.
 * [v1] benchtests: Improve benchtests for strstr, memmem, and memchr (Noah)
  * Already pushed.
 * posix: Fix getconf symbolic constants defined in limits.h (BZ# 29147) (Adhemerval)
  * Review if the minimum impacts applications.
 * elf: Fix handling of symbol versions which hash to zero (bug 29190) (Florian Weimer)
  * Found all uppercase P's that hash to zero.
 * [1/1] x86_64: Add strstr function with 512-bit EVEX (Raghuveer Devulapalli)
  * Noah updated the benchmark for this.
  * Adhemerval: Can we make this more generic?
  * Noah: Wilco's version is simply better.
 * Remove _dl_skip_args (Adhemerval)
  * Needs review.
  * Some machime maintainers have reviewed.
  * i686,x86_64: Done, hppa: Reviewed, aarch64: Already done.
 * Stopped at 54394.
 * Discussed "linux: Add fallback for clone failure on posix_spawn (BZ #29115)"
  * The issues goes far beyond glibc.
  * If we make posix_spawn work then users can use this.
  * Adhemerval: Rewriting with shared mapping.
  * Florian: Always use a shared mapping the first time to detect vfork-as-fork.
   * Just a future direction for the code.
 * Reminder: GNU Tools Cauldron 2022
  * https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2022
  * We can review the patch queue in person!

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Monday Patch Queue Review update (2022-05-30)
@ 2022-05-30 23:18 ` Noah Goldstein
From: Noah Goldstein @ 2022-05-30 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: libc-alpha

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 4:22 PM Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha
<libc-alpha@sourceware.org> wrote:

> Most recent meeting status is always here:
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/PatchworkReviewMeetings#Update
>
> Meeting: 2022-05-30 @ 0900h EST5EDT
>
> Video/Audio: https://bluejeans.com/9093064454
>
> IRC: #glibc on OFTC.
>
> Review new patches and attendee requested reviews.
>
>  * State NEW delegate NOBODY, 228 patches.
>  * Starting at 54476
>  * elf: Remove ELF_RTYPE_CLASS_EXTERN_PROTECTED_DATA (Fangrui Song)
>   * Needs review. Szabolcs: Same as aarch64.
>   * This never worked.
>  * [v2] elf: Remove one-default-version check when searching an unversioned symbol (Fangrui Song)
>   * Florian made a comment about the underlying semantics.
>  * [v1] benchtests: Improve benchtests for strstr, memmem, and memchr (Noah)
>   * Already pushed.
>  * posix: Fix getconf symbolic constants defined in limits.h (BZ# 29147) (Adhemerval)
>   * Review if the minimum impacts applications.
>  * elf: Fix handling of symbol versions which hash to zero (bug 29190) (Florian Weimer)
>   * Found all uppercase P's that hash to zero.
>  * [1/1] x86_64: Add strstr function with 512-bit EVEX (Raghuveer Devulapalli)
>   * Noah updated the benchmark for this.
>   * Adhemerval: Can we make this more generic?
>   * Noah: Wilco's version is simply better.

NB: This is less of an assertion and more of my current understanding.
Not convinced yet in favor of the evex512 version (which still has plenty
of room for improvement vs how it is coded now) but it may end up
being better.