* [2.33] FAIL: string/tst-memset-rtm
@ 2022-01-31 22:56 Andreas K. Huettel
From: Andreas K. Huettel @ 2022-01-31 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha; +Cc: toolchain

Hi all,

so I just pulled recent 2.33 commits into our Gentoo 2.33 branch [*] and noticed a new
test and a new fail...

FAIL: string/tst-memset-rtm

tst-memset-rtm.out says
error: ../sysdeps/x86/tst-string-rtm.h:63: TSX abort rate: 100.00% (3000 out of 3000)
error: 1 test failures

Something to worry about?

Linux pinacolada 5.15.16-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 25 23:46:25 CET 2022 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
gcc (Gentoo 11.2.0 p1) 11.2.0
GNU ld (Gentoo 2.37_p1 p0) 2.37

Cheers,
Andreas

[*] See https://gitweb.gentoo.org/fork/glibc.git/log/?h=gentoo/2.33 for the exact
changes; to be precise, from gentoo/glibc-2.33-8 to gentoo/glibc-2.33-9 tag.

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
dilfridge@gentoo.org

* Re: [2.33] FAIL: string/tst-memset-rtm
@ 2022-01-31 23:36 ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 2022-01-31 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas K. Huettel; +Cc: libc-alpha, toolchain

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 2:57 PM Andreas K. Huettel via Libc-alpha
<libc-alpha@sourceware.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> so I just pulled recent 2.33 commits into our Gentoo 2.33 branch [*] and noticed a new
> test and a new fail...
>
> FAIL: string/tst-memset-rtm
>
> tst-memset-rtm.out says
> error: ../sysdeps/x86/tst-string-rtm.h:63: TSX abort rate: 100.00% (3000 out of 3000)
> error: 1 test failures
>
> Something to worry about?
>
> Linux pinacolada 5.15.16-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 25 23:46:25 CET 2022 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> gcc (Gentoo 11.2.0 p1) 11.2.0
> GNU ld (Gentoo 2.37_p1 p0) 2.37

What processor are you using? Please show your /proc/cpuinfo

@ 2022-02-01  7:29   ` Andreas K. Huettel
From: Andreas K. Huettel @ 2022-02-01  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: libc-alpha, toolchain

> > FAIL: string/tst-memset-rtm
> >
> > tst-memset-rtm.out says
> > error: ../sysdeps/x86/tst-string-rtm.h:63: TSX abort rate: 100.00% (3000 out of 3000)
> > error: 1 test failures
> >
> > Something to worry about?
> >
> > Linux pinacolada 5.15.16-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 25 23:46:25 CET 2022 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> > gcc (Gentoo 11.2.0 p1) 11.2.0
> > GNU ld (Gentoo 2.37_p1 p0) 2.37
>
> What processor are you using? Please show your /proc/cpuinfo

huettel@pinacolada ~/Gentoo/gentoo/sys-libs/glibc $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 94
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0x33
cpu MHz         : 3400.000
cache size      : 8192 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 22
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp
vmx flags       : vnmi preemption_timer invvpid ept_x_only ept_ad ept_1gb flexpriority tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestricted_guest ple shadow_vmcs pml
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs taa itlb_multihit srbds
bogomips        : 6799.81
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

(...)

huettel@pinacolada ~/Gentoo/gentoo/sys-libs/glibc $ LANG=C lscpu
Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  8
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-7
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
  Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               94
    Thread(s) per core:  2
    Core(s) per socket:  4
    Socket(s):           1
    Stepping:            3
    CPU max MHz:         4000.0000
    CPU min MHz:         800.0000
    BogoMIPS:            6799.81
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm con
                         stant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg
                         fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti tpr_sha
                         dow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsav
                         ec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp
Virtualization features:
  Virtualization:        VT-x
Caches (sum of all):
  L1d:                   128 KiB (4 instances)
  L1i:                   128 KiB (4 instances)
  L2:                    1 MiB (4 instances)
  L3:                    8 MiB (1 instance)
NUMA:
  NUMA node(s):          1
  NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-7
Vulnerabilities:
  Itlb multihit:         KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
  L1tf:                  Mitigation; PTE Inversion; VMX conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable
  Mds:                   Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT vulnerable
  Meltdown:              Mitigation; PTI
  Spec store bypass:     Vulnerable
  Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
  Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Full generic retpoline, STIBP disabled, RSB filling
  Srbds:                 Vulnerable: No microcode
  Tsx async abort:       Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT vulnerable

--

@ 2022-02-01  8:04     ` Noah Goldstein
From: Noah Goldstein @ 2022-02-01  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas K. Huettel; +Cc: H.J. Lu, libc-alpha, toolchain

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 1:30 AM Andreas K. Huettel via Libc-alpha
> [...]
> Vulnerabilities:
>   Itlb multihit:         KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
>   L1tf:                  Mitigation; PTE Inversion; VMX conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable
>   Mds:                   Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT vulnerable
>   Meltdown:              Mitigation; PTI
>   Spec store bypass:     Vulnerable
>   Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
>   Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Full generic retpoline, STIBP disabled, RSB filling
>   Srbds:                 Vulnerable: No microcode
>   Tsx async abort:       Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT vulnerable
>

> --
> Andreas K. Hüttel
> dilfridge@gentoo.org
> Gentoo Linux developer
> (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)

If its not a bug with CPU id

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memset-vec-unaligned-erms.S;h=584747f1a1664005419671ed0e7caf390b77d92c;hb=refs/heads/release/2.33/master#l215
Looks suspect.
`VZEROUPPER_SHORT_RETURN` is defined as just `vzeroupper; ret`
and it doesn't appear the avx2 memset defined `VZEROUPPER_SHORT_RETURN`

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memset-avx2-unaligned-erms-rtm.S;h=8ac3e479bba488becd0becb63011496fef9eff13;hb=refs/heads/release/2.33/master
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memset-avx2-unaligned-erms.S;h=ae0860f36a47d5941456e5138b11544ad9540dbf;hb=refs/heads/release/2.33/master

* Re: [2.33] FAIL: string/tst-memset-rtm
@ 2022-02-01 14:09       ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 2022-02-01 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Goldstein; +Cc: Andreas K. Huettel, libc-alpha, toolchain

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 12:04 AM Noah Goldstein <goldstein.w.n@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >   Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Full generic retpoline, STIBP disabled, RSB filling
> >   Srbds:                 Vulnerable: No microcode
> >   Tsx async abort:       Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT vulnerable
> >

> > --
> > Andreas K. Hüttel
> > dilfridge@gentoo.org
> > Gentoo Linux developer
> > (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)
> >

> If its not a bug with CPU id
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memset-vec-unaligned-erms.S;h=584747f1a1664005419671ed0e7caf390b77d92c;hb=refs/heads/release/2.33/master#l215
> Looks suspect.
> `VZEROUPPER_SHORT_RETURN` is defined as just `vzeroupper; ret`
> and it doesn't appear the avx2 memset defined `VZEROUPPER_SHORT_RETURN`

Should be fixed by these backports:

1b8f2456b9 x86: Use CHECK_FEATURE_PRESENT to check HLE [BZ #27398]
54fdfa2b33 x86: Black list more Intel CPUs for TSX [BZ #27398]
0a5f5e2dc1 x86: Check RTM_ALWAYS_ABORT for RTM [BZ #28033]
5cb6edb6cd x86: Copy IBT and SHSTK usable only if CET is enabled

--
H.J.

* Re: [2.33] FAIL: string/tst-memset-rtm
@ 2022-02-01 20:40         ` Andreas K. Huettel
From: Andreas K. Huettel @ 2022-02-01 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Goldstein, H.J. Lu; +Cc: libc-alpha, toolchain