* glibc on Mac
@ 2022-02-16 23:36 Julius Hamilton
From: Julius Hamilton @ 2022-02-16 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Hey,

I would like to read C man pages in the terminal on Mac.

Is there any way to install glibc or similar onto Mac?

Thank you,
Julius

* Re: glibc on Mac
@ 2022-02-17 10:41 ` Cristian Rodríguez
From: Cristian Rodríguez @ 2022-02-17 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julius Hamilton; +Cc: libc-alpha

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 8:36 PM Julius Hamilton via Libc-alpha
<libc-alpha@sourceware.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I would like to read C man pages in the terminal on Mac.
>
> Is there any way to install glibc or similar onto Mac?
>
> Thank you,
> Julius

I think you can install the man7.org pages

 https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/download.html

That link also contains links about the posix man pages.

Cheers.

* Re: glibc on Mac
@ 2022-02-17 20:43   ` Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) @ 2022-02-17 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristian Rodríguez; +Cc: libc-alpha, Julius Hamilton

Hi Cristian,

On 2/17/22 11:41, Cristian Rodríguez via Libc-alpha wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 8:36 PM Julius Hamilton via Libc-alpha
> <libc-alpha@sourceware.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I would like to read C man pages in the terminal on Mac.
>>
>> Is there any way to install glibc or similar onto Mac?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Julius
>
> I think you can install the man7.org pages
>
>   https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/download.html
>
> That link also contains links about the posix man pages.

Mac already comes with its own manual pages.  If you are programming on
a Mac, reading the Linux manual pages can be misleading.

Also, since Mac uses a case-insensitive file system by default, you'll
find problems when downloading the Linux man-pages, since there are a
few clashes:

man2/_Exit.2
man2/_exit.2
man3/NAN.3