* old versions of the glibc manual
@ 2022-10-29  5:46 Sandra Loosemore
From: Sandra Loosemore @ 2022-10-29  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Someone recently contacted me via my personal e-mail address, and asked
"Why is it impossible to find documentation for the older versions of
the glibc?"

Indeed https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/ lists only the latest
version.  Is it possible to have links to multiple versions, as e.g. GCC
does?  Or just build a separate documentation tarball as part of the
release process?  Either way, messing around with the web site and/or
release scripts is kind of out of my league, but perhaps someone
familiar with those things could consider this is an enhancement?

-Sandra

* Re: old versions of the glibc manual
@ 2022-11-01  3:09 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2022-11-01  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sandra Loosemore, libc-alpha

On 10/29/22 01:46, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
> Someone recently contacted me via my personal e-mail address, and
> asked "Why is it impossible to find documentation for the older
> versions of the glibc?"

Thanks for reaching out!

> Indeed https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/ lists only the
> latest version.  Is it possible to have links to multiple versions,
> as e.g. GCC does?  Or just build a separate documentation tarball as
> part of the release process?  Either way, messing around with the web
> site and/or release scripts is kind of out of my league, but perhaps
> someone familiar with those things could consider this is an
> enhancement?

Yes it is possible to have multiple versions!

I have updated the website to have from 2.26 -> 2.36 under manual
e.g. https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/2.35/ for glibc-2.35.
There are now 5 years of manuals on the website.

Please tell me if that helps or if you or someone else needs an older
version online and we can make that happen.

Future updates will use the new script and should just add to that.

If someone knows the magic way to get the new CSS like GNU Make has:
https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html, then I'll happily
regenerate all the manuals.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: old versions of the glibc manual
@ 2022-11-01  3:45   ` Sandra Loosemore
From: Sandra Loosemore @ 2022-11-01  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha

On 10/31/22 21:09, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 10/29/22 01:46, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
>> Someone recently contacted me via my personal e-mail address, and
>> asked "Why is it impossible to find documentation for the older
>> versions of the glibc?"
>
> Thanks for reaching out!
>
>> Indeed https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/ lists only the
>> latest version.  Is it possible to have links to multiple versions,
>> as e.g. GCC does?  Or just build a separate documentation tarball as
>> part of the release process?  Either way, messing around with the web
>> site and/or release scripts is kind of out of my league, but perhaps
>> someone familiar with those things could consider this is an
>> enhancement?
>
> Yes it is possible to have multiple versions!
>
> I have updated the website to have from 2.26 -> 2.36 under manual
> e.g. https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/2.35/ for glibc-2.35.
> There are now 5 years of manuals on the website.

Thanks!  I figured this would not be a huge task for someone familiar
with the project infrastructure....  unfortunately that's not me.  :-P

@ 2022-11-01  6:01   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2022-11-01  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: Sandra Loosemore, libc-alpha