* strerror_r GNU flavor
@ 2021-11-09 10:33 Jonny Grant
From: Jonny Grant @ 2021-11-09 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU C Library

Hello

Is it better to depreciate the GNU flavor of strerror_r now that there is a POSIX version?

I was reading "string.h" and the man page:

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/strerror.3.html

The man page does state :-

"The XSI-compliant strerror_r() is preferred for portable
applications.  It returns the error string in the user-supplied
buffer buf of length buflen."

Keeping the GNU version sounds reasonable, but at least marking it depreciated?

Some other queries :-
I noticed this page does not include the POSIX version of strerror_r

https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Error-Messages.html

Also, this page function definition says "size_t n" instead of the expected "size_t buflen", should that be changed?

char * strerror_r (int errnum, char *buf, size_t n)

Cheers
Jonny