public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* -z defs option
@ 2003-01-13  4:59 kaz Kojima
From: kaz Kojima @ 2003-01-13  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-hacker

Hi,

SH4 needs a special symbol __fpscr_values which currently is defined
in crt1.o. The reference to it is generated by gcc for FP mode change,
so almost every shared lib for SH4 has it as an undefined symbol. Now
-z defs becomes a default option when building shared libs and there
is only flags to inhibit -z defs per each library. Can we add a flag
to avoid -z defs for all shared libraries?

Regards,
	kaz

* Re: -z defs option
@ 2003-01-13  4:59   ` kaz Kojima
From: kaz Kojima @ 2003-01-13  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drepper; +Cc: libc-hacker

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Can we add a flag
>> to avoid -z defs for all shared libraries?
>
> I've made some change so that if you define
>
>   no-z-defs = yes
>
> the option will never be used.  Please try it.

It works fine. Thanks a lot.

> But you should also be aware that the -z defs test is a good check for
> correctness and avoiding this option is not the best thing to do.  But I
> don't know the ABI well enough, maybe the undefined symbol cannot be
> avoided.

Sure. It might be better to add a new ld option to allow an exception
for -z defs something like --allow-shlib-undefined-sym SYMBOL.

Regards,
	kaz

* Re: -z defs option
@ 2003-01-13  4:59 ` Ulrich Drepper