public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* How do we handle the Sun Copyright for derivative works.
@ 2005-04-07 18:25 Steve Munroe
From: Steve Munroe @ 2005-04-07 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-hacker; +Cc: dgm69

How do we handle the Sun copyright in glibc code when we patch or
copy/modify such code. For example
./sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64/s_logb.c.

1) Leave the Sun (C) and add 2005 date?
2) Leave the Sun (C) and add the LGPL header with 2005 date?
3) ?

Steven J. Munroe
Linux on Power Toolchain Architect
IBM Corporation, Linux Technology Center

* Re: How do we handle the Sun Copyright for derivative works.
@ 2005-04-07 20:24 ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2005-04-07 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Munroe; +Cc: libc-hacker, dgm69

> How do we handle the Sun copyright in glibc code when we patch or
> copy/modify such code. For example
> ./sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64/s_logb.c.
>
> 1) Leave the Sun (C) and add 2005 date?

One never does this, AFAIK.

> 2) Leave the Sun (C) and add the LGPL header with 2005 date?
> 3) ?

What's the nature of the change?  If it's small, then my tendency would be
just not to update the Sun copyright.

* Re: How do we handle the Sun Copyright for derivative works.
@ 2005-04-07 21:02   ` Steve Munroe
From: Steve Munroe @ 2005-04-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland McGrath; +Cc: dgm69, libc-hacker

Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com> wrote on 04/07/2005 03:24:06 PM:

> > How do we handle the Sun copyright in glibc code when we patch or
> > copy/modify such code. For example
> > ./sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64/s_logb.c.
>
> What's the nature of the change?  If it's small, then my tendency would
be
> just not to update the Sun copyright.

Copy the file to sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/fpu and replace 1 line of code
with 8 lines of new code.

@ 2005-04-07 21:14     ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2005-04-07 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Munroe; +Cc: dgm69, libc-hacker

> Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com> wrote on 04/07/2005 03:24:06 PM:
>
> > > How do we handle the Sun copyright in glibc code when we patch or
> > > copy/modify such code. For example
> > > ./sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64/s_logb.c.
> >
> > What's the nature of the change?  If it's small, then my tendency would
> be
> > just not to update the Sun copyright.
>
> Copy the file to sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/fpu and replace 1 line of code
> with 8 lines of new code.

If you are not modifying the old file, but adding a new one, then copy the
Sun copyright and add the normal libc LGPL header as well.

Thanks,
Roland