public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* nix INTUSE?
@ 2002-08-04 17:36 Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2002-08-04 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hackers

As far as I can tell, Jakub's new stuff ought to apply just fine to
variables as well as functions.  Despite its name, hidden_proto just does a
declaration with __typeof, so it should do fine for any kind of C symbol.
Can't we use this to get rid of all the INTUSE/INTDEF stuff entirely now?
(And thus to deuglify the code.)

* Re: nix INTUSE?
@ 2002-08-04 17:45 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2002-08-04 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland McGrath; +Cc: GNU libc hackers

Roland McGrath wrote:
> As far as I can tell, Jakub's new stuff ought to apply just fine to
> variables as well as functions.  Despite its name, hidden_proto just does a
> declaration with __typeof, so it should do fine for any kind of C symbol.
> Can't we use this to get rid of all the INTUSE/INTDEF stuff entirely now?
> (And thus to deuglify the code.)

We cannot entirely get rid of it.  There are several places where we
define special *_internal symbols.

If you want to convert some cases feel free but I'd say there are more
important thangs to do.

* Re: nix INTUSE?
@ 2002-08-04 17:47   ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2002-08-04 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: GNU libc hackers

> We cannot entirely get rid of it.  There are several places where we
> define special *_internal symbols.

I'm not following you.  If something is entirely internal, we just declare
it with attribute_hidden and that's all that's needed.  If something is
exported, then we can use libc_hidden_proto.

> If you want to convert some cases feel free but I'd say there are more
> important thangs to do.

Well, sure.  I am just trying to verify that my thinking is correct.

* Re: nix INTUSE?
@ 2002-08-04 18:41     ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2002-08-04 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland McGrath; +Cc: GNU libc hackers

Roland McGrath wrote:

> I'm not following you.  If something is entirely internal, we just declare
> it with attribute_hidden and that's all that's needed.  If something is
> exported, then we can use libc_hidden_proto.

The hidden_proto/hidden_def trick does not work with versioning.  In
these case you have to work around the versioning and add alises to the
original names.  There were a few more special cases, all related to
compatiblity hacks.