public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* LinuxThreads future
@ 2003-03-21  9:49 Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2003-03-21  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

* Re: LinuxThreads future
@ 2003-03-21 15:33 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2003-03-21 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

[Ulrich discusses putting LinuxThreads "out to pasture"]

Once NPTL is public, this is a Good Thing.

> All bugs in the current code are declared features.

Can we modify this - to at least consider support if a serious (such as a
heretofore-unnoticed security defect) problem is found? While NPTL is
the future, many users and developers have invested a lot of time and
money making things that work with Linuxthreads, and will be depending
on it for a while to come.

Once all the benefits of NPTL are seen, people will move -- but we should
be
honest and plan for the movement being slow, and not a light-switch.

Mark S. Brown
bmark@us.ibm.com

* Re: LinuxThreads future
@ 2003-03-22  6:13   ` Ulrich Drepper