public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* Hitachi SH port?
@ 1999-08-19  1:56 NIIBE Yutaka
From: NIIBE Yutaka @ 1999-08-19  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-hacker

As my little pet project, I'm working for porting of GNU/Linux system
to Hitachi SuperH processor.  So far, I ported Linux kernel (2.2.11)
to SH-3 (SH7708) processor (it is available at:
	ftp://ftp.m17n.org/super-h/ ).

 And currently thinking about the port of GNU C library.

Anyone working on that?  Are there any estimation how much time it
take?  Any information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
Niibe Yutaka

* Re: Hitachi SH port?
@ 1999-08-19  8:51 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-08-19  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NIIBE Yutaka; +Cc: libc-hacker

NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@chroot.org> writes:

> 	ftp://ftp.m17n.org/super-h/ ).

I cannot find this directory.

> Anyone working on that?

Not that I know.

> Are there any estimation how much time it take?

It depends.  Do the the SH3s have an MMU?  What binary format do you use?

* Re: Hitachi SH port?
@ 1999-08-19 16:57   ` NIIBE Yutaka
From: NIIBE Yutaka @ 1999-08-19 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: libc-hacker

Ulrich Drepper writes:
 > I cannot find this directory.

Sorry, it's
	ftp://ftp.m17n.org/pub/super-h/

(under /pub directory)

 > It depends.  Do the the SH3s have an MMU?  What binary format do you use?

Yes, it has MMU, and I've implemented paging on my port already.  I'm
using ELF.   I think that I can start with generic C implementation, and
optimize gradually.

Anyway, I'll start the "project". :-)
--
Niibe Yutaka

* Re: Hitachi SH port?
@ 1999-08-19 17:45     ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-08-19 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NIIBE Yutaka; +Cc: libc-hacker

NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@chroot.org> writes:

> Yes, it has MMU, and I've implemented paging on my port already.  I'm
> using ELF.   I think that I can start with generic C implementation, and
> optimize gradually.

With all this it shouldn't be a big problem if the compiler is stable
enough (which it of course is since SH is used by many of our
customers).

* Re: Hitachi SH port?
@ 1999-08-30 17:45       ` NIIBE Yutaka
From: NIIBE Yutaka @ 1999-08-30 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: libc-hacker

Hello Ulrich!

Ulrich Drepper writes:
 > With all this it shouldn't be a big problem if the compiler is stable
 > enough (which it of course is since SH is used by many of our
 > customers).

Well, it looks like that.  I'm in the middle of porting (static only).
I think that I need to do some paper work for FSF about copyright
assignment.  I will do.

BTW, I've found that current implementation of GNU Tool-chain (GNU
binutils, GNU CC) doesn't have support of PIC generation (which
enables shared library).

Jim Blandy (who visits Mule Project now) suggests me that we need to
define dynamic linking interface (GOT, PLT, etc.) for SuperH, if it's
not defined yet.  He also suggests me I should ask to Binutils people.

When I finish static only version, I'll try to dynamic loading
(perhaps, asking binutils people).

Any pointer is welcome.

Later,
--
Niibe Yutaka

* Re: Hitachi SH port?
@ 1999-08-30 17:55         ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-08-30 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NIIBE Yutaka; +Cc: libc-hacker

NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@chroot.org> writes:

> Jim Blandy (who visits Mule Project now) suggests me that we need to
> define dynamic linking interface (GOT, PLT, etc.) for SuperH, if it's
> not defined yet.  He also suggests me I should ask to Binutils people.

This is what will have to happen.  You might also want to ask the guys
at Hitachi since it's normally the semiconductor vendor who defines
these things (or at least they pay somebody to do it).

> Any pointer is welcome.

When you are ready to define the PIC interface let me know and we can
talk about these things.  Cygnus has defined several ELF versions.