public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* one more toy
@ 1999-10-07  0:28 Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-10-07  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

I've checked in one more toy.  It is just one example what can be done
with the pcprofile code which was already in debug/ (Now you know what
it is for).

Try running xtrace on a program and it will run the application in a
second xterm while it tracks in the original program the names of the
currently used functions.  As I've said it's an example but maybe it's
useful for the one or the other long running application.

* Re: one more toy
@ 1999-10-07  3:18 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 1999-10-07  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com> writes:

|> I've checked in one more toy.  It is just one example what can be done
|> with the pcprofile code which was already in debug/ (Now you know what
|> it is for).
|>
|> Try running xtrace on a program and it will run the application in a
|> second xterm while it tracks in the original program the names of the
|> currently used functions.  As I've said it's an example but maybe it's
|> useful for the one or the other long running application.

Can you please give us a hint about what this toy is supposed to do?  I
cannot get this thing to do anything usefull.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                  "And now for something
SuSE Labs                                        completely different."

* Re: one more toy
@ 1999-10-07  9:08   ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-10-07  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> Can you please give us a hint about what this toy is supposed to do?  I
> cannot get this thing to do anything usefull.

If you run, e.g.,

	xtrace someprogram itsargs

you'll see in realtime in which function the program currently is
working.  This can (and will be) extended in future and I want to
combine the functionality with that of the memory profiling.

* Re: one more toy
@ 1999-10-07  9:19     ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-10-07  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

Uh, I forgot to mention.  Since the preloaded module uses the
__cyg_profile_func_* hooks you have to compile your code with
-finstrument-functions.