public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* __const or const?
@ 1999-12-31  6:43 Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 1999-12-31  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

I'm currently cleaning up some more header files in glibc 2.2.  Is it
ok to replace __const by const?  I haven't done this so far but
Thorsten reminded me that we're not consistent.

I'm going to use const instead of __const for further patches if
nobody objects.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de

* Re: __const or const?
@ 1999-12-31  8:40 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-12-31  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> I'm currently cleaning up some more header files in glibc 2.2.  Is it
> ok to replace __const by const?

We should continue to use __const.  It's no extra burden since this is
a keyword with gcc recognizes directly.

* Re: __const or const?
@ 1999-12-31  8:50   ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 1999-12-31  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

Uli> Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:
>> I'm currently cleaning up some more header files in glibc 2.2.  Is it
>> ok to replace __const by const?

Uli> We should continue to use __const.  It's no extra burden since this is
Uli> a keyword with gcc recognizes directly.

I found in the meantime the following in my libc-hacker archive:
You wrote with message-ID <m3g0zmbfzn.fsf@localhost.localnet> 12 weeks
ago:
> I really think this is not acceptable anymore.  K&R is dead, at least
> on GNU platforms.  Therefore I would like to drop all K&R
> compatibility.  This means, all headers will loose the __P and the
> __const and whatever junk we have.  I think this can considerably
> speed up the preprocessor.

I didn't know that gcc recognizes __const directly - but the patches I
made were nearly no work (thanks to perl!) and it's consistent to use
const in all places.

Andreas
--

@ 1999-12-31  8:53     ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-12-31  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> I found in the meantime the following in my libc-hacker archive:
> You wrote with message-ID <m3g0zmbfzn.fsf@localhost.localnet> 12 weeks
> ago:

Search for Roland's reply.  He suggested to keep __const.

* Re: __const or const?
@ 1999-12-31  9:30       ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 1999-12-31  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

 > Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:
>> I found in the meantime the following in my libc-hacker archive:
>> You wrote with message-ID <m3g0zmbfzn.fsf@localhost.localnet> 12 weeks
>> ago:

 > Search for Roland's reply.  He suggested to keep __const.

I've found it, thanks.  Ok, in this case don't apply my two __const ->
const patches.  The "tidying up" patch has one or two __const -> const
patches in it.  Shall I send you a new one next year?

I suggest to write up a small summary on the usage of keywords for
glibc.  This should document at least __const and __THROW.  What else
should we mention?  I can try to write something up.

Andreas
--

@ 1999-12-31  9:41         ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-12-31  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> Shall I send you a new one next year?

I think I can handle this.  I'll apply the patch when I've checked in
everything I've changed here.

> I suggest to write up a small summary on the usage of keywords for
> glibc.  This should document at least __const and __THROW.  What else
> should we mention?  I can try to write something up.

Well, I'm not really sure this is necessary since the user has nothing
to do with this and the two rules should be easy to remember.
Actually, my main reason is that I don't know where to add this
without creating confusion.