public inbox for libc-hacker@sourceware.org
* memprof
@ 1999-10-03 21:40 Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-10-03 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

Hi,

I've checked in a little program I wrote one or two years ago.  It
allows profiling to use of memory allocation (heap and stack).  A
preloadable module generates some binary output which is then
transformed into a graphic by another program.

The unusual thing about this addition is that the program depends on a
library not part of glibc.  There is a configure test to test whether
the program can be generated but for bootstrapping this is of course
not possible.  But I really don't care that much about this case and
have added a Makefile rule to still allow generating the program
afterwards.

Play around with it, it's quite useful.  E.g., I used it to have
"ammunition" when complaining about too much alloca use in gcc.

* Re: memprof
@ 1999-10-04  1:49 ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 1999-10-04  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

 > Hi,
 > I've checked in a little program I wrote one or two years ago.  It
 > allows profiling to use of memory allocation (heap and stack).  A
 > preloadable module generates some binary output which is then
 > transformed into a graphic by another program.

 > The unusual thing about this addition is that the program depends on a
 > library not part of glibc.  There is a configure test to test whether
 > the program can be generated but for bootstrapping this is of course
 > not possible.  But I really don't care that much about this case and
 > have added a Makefile rule to still allow generating the program
 > afterwards.

I only see one problem:  Where do distributions put the include files
and libraries?  Your configure test doesn't work for SuSE which uses
/usr/include/gd/ and /usr/lib/libgd.a.

Before I change the configure test, I'd like to get feedback from
other distributors about the location of libgd files.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de

* Re: memprof
@ 1999-10-04  5:38   ` Joel Klecker
From: Joel Klecker @ 1999-10-04  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

At 10:46 +0200 1999-10-04, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>I only see one problem:  Where do distributions put the include files
>and libraries?  Your configure test doesn't work for SuSE which uses
>/usr/include/gd/ and /usr/lib/libgd.a.
>
>Before I change the configure test, I'd like to get feedback from
>other distributors about the location of libgd files.

The existing test should work fine for Debian.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer

* Re: memprof
@ 1999-10-04  8:28   ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1999-10-04  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU libc hacker

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> I only see one problem:  Where do distributions put the include files
> and libraries?  Your configure test doesn't work for SuSE which uses
> /usr/include/gd/ and /usr/lib/libgd.a.

This is why you can  add

	--with-gd=/usr/local

This is what I have to do.

* Re: memprof
@ 1999-10-04  8:45     ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 1999-10-04  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: GNU libc hacker

Uli> Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:
>> I only see one problem:  Where do distributions put the include files
>> and libraries?  Your configure test doesn't work for SuSE which uses
>> /usr/include/gd/ and /usr/lib/libgd.a.

Uli> This is why you can  add

Uli> 	--with-gd=/usr/local

Uli> This is what I have to do.

This will not work.

I need as include path:
/usr/include/gd
and --with-gd will always add an include directory.

Andreas