* Need personal copyrigt assignment to contribute glibc?
@ 2021-03-11  2:44 yunqiang.su
From: yunqiang.su @ 2021-03-11  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist

The Free Software Foundation (holder of the glibc copyrights) requires
copyright assignment for all legally significant changes by a particular
author (read not a company). This webpage describes the copyright assignment
requirements.

So, does it mean that I need to sign a personal copyright assignment even my
employer has one for all FSF projects?

If I want to continue to contribute glibc, which one should I chose?
request-disclaim.changes, request-assign.changes,  request-assign.future.

* Re: Need personal copyrigt assignment to contribute glibc?
@ 2021-03-11  8:52 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2021-03-11  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yunqiang.su; +Cc: libc-help

* yunqiang su:

> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist
>
> The Free Software Foundation (holder of the glibc copyrights) requires
> copyright assignment for all legally significant changes by a particular
> author (read not a company). This webpage describes the copyright assignment
> requirements.
>
> So, does it mean that I need to sign a personal copyright assignment even my
> employer has one for all FSF projects?

The glibc project does not require dual assignments.  Assignment from
the actual copyright holder is sufficient for our purposes.  FSF policy
might differ from that, but you'll have to talk to the FSF to figure
out.  The GNU project says this:

| If the employer does claim the work was part of the person’s job, and
| there is no clear basis to say that claim is invalid, then we have to
| consider it valid. Then the person cannot assign copyright, but the
| employer can. Many companies have done this. Please ask the
| appropriate managers to contact assign@gnu.org.

<https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Papers.html>

I don't think this requires dual assignment, either.  In fact, it even
argues against it.

> If I want to continue to contribute glibc, which one should I chose?
> request-disclaim.changes, request-assign.changes,  request-assign.future.

request-assign.future is what we recommend.

(I should point out that I'm not an glibc steward/GNU maintainer.)

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Need personal copyrigt assignment to contribute glibc?
@ 2021-03-11 14:29   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2021-03-11 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer, yunqiang.su; +Cc: libc-help

On 3/11/21 3:52 AM, Florian Weimer via Libc-help wrote:
> * yunqiang su:
>
>> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist
>>
>> The Free Software Foundation (holder of the glibc copyrights) requires
>> copyright assignment for all legally significant changes by a particular
>> author (read not a company). This webpage describes the copyright assignment
>> requirements.
>>
>> So, does it mean that I need to sign a personal copyright assignment even my
>> employer has one for all FSF projects?
>
> The glibc project does not require dual assignments.  Assignment from
> the actual copyright holder is sufficient for our purposes.  FSF policy
> might differ from that, but you'll have to talk to the FSF to figure
> out.  The GNU project says this:
>
> | If the employer does claim the work was part of the person’s job, and
> | there is no clear basis to say that claim is invalid, then we have to
> | consider it valid. Then the person cannot assign copyright, but the
> | employer can. Many companies have done this. Please ask the
> | appropriate managers to contact assign@gnu.org.
>
> <https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Papers.html>
>
> I don't think this requires dual assignment, either.  In fact, it even
> argues against it.
>
>> If I want to continue to contribute glibc, which one should I chose?
>> request-disclaim.changes, request-assign.changes,  request-assign.future.
>
> request-assign.future is what we recommend.
>
> (I should point out that I'm not an glibc steward/GNU maintainer.)

Florian's answers are correct, and I am a GNU Maintainer for glibc.

Please see the contribution checklist:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.