* Porting GNU C Library
@ 2019-05-30 16:02 ABELS, GARY
From: ABELS, GARY @ 2019-05-30 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

Hello,

I am interested in porting to SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-64 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200.

Cheers,
Gary Abels

Developer
Electronic Law Enforcement Activity Tracker (ELEAT)  |  \ ā-ˈlēt , i- , ē- \

* Re: Porting GNU C Library
@ 2019-05-30 19:54 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2019-05-30 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ABELS, GARY; +Cc: libc-help

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:02 PM ABELS, GARY <ga1534@att.com> wrote:
> I am interested in porting to SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-64 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200.

Gary,

Is there any reason you are interested in porting glibc to SunOS? Is
there any reason you need to use SunOS?

Depending on your requirements the simpler scenario is often to port
the application that needs glibc to GNU/Linux and use an existing
distribution like Debian, Ubunutu, Fedora, SUSE, etc.

If you can tell us a little bit more about your requirements we can
help give you more guidance.

Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Porting GNU C Library
@ 2019-05-30 20:12   ` Patrick McGehearty
From: Patrick McGehearty @ 2019-05-30 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

Just FYI for those interested in Sun archeology,
SunOS 5.10 is the same as Solaris10.
Solaris is the marketing name for SunOS 5.
Not all internal strings got changed which is why many
still refer to that as SunOS.

The Sun-Fire-T200 is built around the UltraSPARC T1 processor
(code named Niagara), first shipped in 2005.
Relatively low power chip with modest single thread performance
but with up to 32 active threads, throughput was respectable
for its day (but not so much by today's standards).

- patrick

On 5/30/2019 2:53 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:02 PM ABELS, GARY <ga1534@att.com> wrote:
>> I am interested in porting to SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-64 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200.
> Gary,
>
> Is there any reason you are interested in porting glibc to SunOS? Is
> there any reason you need to use SunOS?
>
> Depending on your requirements the simpler scenario is often to port
> the application that needs glibc to GNU/Linux and use an existing
> distribution like Debian, Ubunutu, Fedora, SUSE, etc.
>
> If you can tell us a little bit more about your requirements we can
> help give you more guidance.
>
> Cheers,
> Carlos.

* Re: Porting GNU C Library
@ 2019-06-01 11:31   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2019-06-01 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: ABELS, GARY, libc-help

* Carlos O'Donell:

> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:02 PM ABELS, GARY <ga1534@att.com> wrote:
>> I am interested in porting to SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-64 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200.
>
> Gary,
>
> Is there any reason you are interested in porting glibc to SunOS? Is
> there any reason you need to use SunOS?
>
> Depending on your requirements the simpler scenario is often to port
> the application that needs glibc to GNU/Linux and use an existing
> distribution like Debian, Ubunutu, Fedora, SUSE, etc.

Have any of these active sparc64 ports?  There's a Debian non-release
port, but I'm not sure how viable that is.

Porting glibc to new kernels can be quite tricky.  I'm not even sure if
Solaris has a stable kernel interface.  Some systems change libc/kernel
interfaces all the time and only support applications dynamically linked
against the libc version that matches the kernel requirements.

If these problems can be solved, then the next matter is making sure
that the port can at least build, which means adding it to
build-many-glibcs.py.  If the required kernel headers are proprietary,
then not many glibc contributors will be able to build the configuration
regularly.

Thanks,
Florian