* DNS source ip support for glibc gethostbyname API
@ 2019-05-24 11:19 Babu Prasad
From: Babu Prasad @ 2019-05-24 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

hi Team,
              could you please tell me that are we(glibc) supporting DNS
source ip as part of our DNS ip resolution.  ie as part gethostbyname is
there any option which can carry my source ip also since there is a
requirement as part of PBR.

thank you!
Best Regards
Babu

* Re: DNS source ip support for glibc gethostbyname API
@ 2019-05-24 11:37 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2019-05-24 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Babu Prasad; +Cc: libc-help

* Babu Prasad:

>               could you please tell me that are we(glibc) supporting DNS
> source ip as part of our DNS ip resolution.  ie as part gethostbyname is
> there any option which can carry my source ip also since there is a
> requirement as part of PBR.

Do you mean support for RFC 7871 (Client Subnet in DNS Queries)?

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: DNS source ip support for glibc gethostbyname API
@ 2019-05-24 14:45   ` Babu Prasad
From: Babu Prasad @ 2019-05-24 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: libc-help

Hi Florian, Thanks for responding, yes you are right. RFC 7871 support is
one application, but this can be extended for my case also.

@ 2019-05-24 15:24     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2019-05-24 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Babu Prasad; +Cc: libc-help

* Babu Prasad:

>> On Fri, May 24, 2019, 17:07 Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>  * Babu Prasad:
>>
>>  >               could you please tell me that are we(glibc) supporting DNS
>>  > source ip as part of our DNS ip resolution.  ie as part gethostbyname is
>>  > there any option which can carry my source ip also since there is a
>>  > requirement as part of PBR.
>>
>>  Do you mean support for RFC 7871 (Client Subnet in DNS Queries)?

> Hi Florian, Thanks for responding, yes you are right. RFC 7871 support
> is one application, but this can be extended for my case also.

Our position is that this scenario is best handled by a local DNS
resolver running on the same host.  The scope of possible policies
related to this feature is rather large.

Thanks,
Florian