* Trouble with portable linking
@ 2020-12-17 19:57 Ryan Burn
From: Ryan Burn @ 2020-12-17 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

Hello, I'm trying to link a portable shared library binary. I've
followed the practice recommended here
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4032373/linking-against-an-old-version-of-libc-to-provide-greater-application-coverage/20065096#20065096)
where I explicitly link to portable versions of symbols, and it's
worked well for me. But the recent change where pthread_getattr_np
moved from libpthread to libc is causing me trouble:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65336219/how-to-link-so-that-pthread-getattr-np-will-be-resolved

When my portable binary is loaded on an older system where
pthread_getattr_np is still in libpthread, loading fails to resolve
the symbol. Could anyone suggest how I can work around this?

Also, is there a reason why the portable versioned symbol
pthread_getattr_np@GLIBC_2.2.5 moved from libpthread to libc? Why not
keep pthread_getattr_np@GLIBC_2.2.5 in libpthread and have the newer
symbol in libc?